Thursday, December 14, 2006

UT Cycling Studies... I'm done!

Yesterday was my last ride for the U.T. Cycling study. Rather than recount how it went, I thought I would post the pictures that I picked up today. Here is what I've been doing every Wednesday morning for the past 5 weeks. Jealous? :)

Before each study, at about 6:45am, Dr. Ivy would stick a catheter in my arm so that they could take blood throughout the ride. Usually this went well, though yesterday I could actually see the stick in my arm. (Yuck!)

Here's Vanessa measuring out one of my million test drinks. (By the way, Accelerade was set up at the White Rock Marathon Expo, and talking about how they were doing this cycling study at U.T. Hmmm!)
Do these tubes make me look sexy or what?! Here they are watching my VO2 & heart rate.
This is what the performance phase looks like. Luckily, the kind folks running this study would cheer me on, taking my attention away from the catheter, VO2Max testing, pain, etc... This was the only picture I have where I don't look like I want to die. Dr. Ivy & me after my last ride. It's over!!! It was kind of an honor to be a participant for Dr. Ivy and Vanessa. In fact, I've already got leads on my next study at U.T.!

So, all in all - this was a fabulous study for me. I learned a ton about myself in these past 5 weeks. Here goes:

  • My resting heart rate is about 43. Not bad, huh? When I'm pushing really hard, my heart rate seemed to stay at about 145 - the highest I saw it go was 165 (I think.)
  • My VO2 max (how efficient my body is at utilizing Oxygen) is 40. The average, non working out woman is 38. I will never be a great athlete based on the way my body is made up - 80% of which is genetic. Though I can work and work at my VO2Max, I will never raise it more than a few points. So... I have to work pretty damn hard to do as well as someone with a better VO2max than me.
  • That being said, I have got a hell of a lot of heart. I can push and push and push myself until I think I'm on the brink of exhuastion, and then I can push more. I am never as fatigued as I think I am - I need to remember that when I train and when I race.

So, my $500 should be in the mail soon. I've got my eye on that new bike...

3 comments:

Lulu said...

Love the pics Erin. Isn't it kinda sad when it is your last day? It is like you have to wonder what you are going to do with yourself Wed mornings again.

Anyway, I think you rocked the house and I am so proud of your awesome work! I seriously know what a threat you are now :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder why Lulu didn't post pictures of her shotgunning beers before and after her workouts.

Anonymous said...

I wonder why Lulu didn't post pictures of her shotgunning beers before and after her workouts.