Friday, January 15, 2010

Some thoughts before tonight...

I'm only 29 years old, but I have learned a few things during my life. One of those things is that it's not every day that you end up on TV. National TV. National TV doing a reality TV show.

As many have pointed out, "thank goodness you're not on the Bachelor, and at least on a show where you use your brain!" Good point.

Anyway, I am sitting here looking at the clock. In 5 hours, tons of my friends will join me at a watch party and will get ready to see the show. In 5 hours, 15 minutes - my heart might jump out of my chest when the intro music starts. Just a warning. I most likely will look just as I did on the commercials!
There are so many thoughts running through my head right now... and I want to be able to look back and remember them when this is over... so I figured I would write.

First, my parents are amazing. I write that all the time, but it's not enough. They are supportive and caring and intelligent and wonderful and frankly, just amazing. I am devastated that they won't be with me tonight to watch the show. (However my longtime dear sweet friend Jenna will be watching it with my dad in Atlanta since he's on a work trip, and my mom is covered with her friends in Dallas.) The thing that has been the most fun about this experience is making them proud. They don't care what the results are, they care that I took a chance and went for it. So, to be able to make them proud... in such a way that I can hear the excitement in their voices... it's just awesome.

Second, my friends are equally amazing. People are coming out of nowhere with help, ideas, contacts, resources, words of encouragement, etc... Every time someone clicks "like" on my facebook status updates, I can't help but smile and feel so blessed. Everywhere I turn, someone is offering to help me. I feel obligated to mention a few that have gone way above and beyond the call of friend duty and surprised me to no end. It's hard to single anyone out, but there are a few very specific people who have really amazed me. Carrie B came to Interbike with me - free of charge - just to see the sites and support the business. Most recently, she has become a PR maven for me. Jeff B has done it too - coming up with ideas, spreading the PR, lending his time and expertise. Then there are people like Mike & Dionn who just listen to the craziness of running a business and offer up advice, or don't, and they are always on target. And then, there is the person who gets to (has to?) hear it all, every day, via email/text/chat/in person/and back again. (Well, he gets to deal with most of my issues, not just related to my company, but that's another story.) Multiple insane asylums can thank Chris for having one less inmate in Austin. :) Five years ago he told me, "one day I'm going to say 'I knew you back when...'" and that simple conversation has been a motivator ever since.

Third, I've been thinking about how I got to this place. Seven months ago, I didn't have much on my horizon. I admit it - I was scared not to have a plan. Seven months later, my awesome boyfriend & I are stopping by my "new" house that I'm in the process of rebuilding on the way to the viewing party for my national TV debut for a company that just by way of being on this show has more potential than ever. So how did I get here? I think I just opened my arms to the world and said "what have you got for me? I'm ready!" (Well not physically of course, but mentally. Mentally I did do that.)

Fourth, I'm scared. I'm scared that I haven't take full advantage of the opportunities I had. I'm scared that footage of me falling down on my bike will air on national TV. I'm scared that this is it for me - that I get my 15 minutes of fame - and it will all be over. I realize this is pretty silly, but I don't want to peak at age 29, dammit!

So fifth, and most important... I am here. I'm taking it all in, relishing the experience, and not predicting how the next seven months will turn out for me. I am happier now than I have ever been in my whole life, and I am thankful for every piece of it.

So... there you have it. The basketcase mind of a soon-to-be-washed-up reality tv contestant. ;)

Stay tuned for more...

6 comments:

Kris said...

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out tonight, but I'm trying! If I don't, then whatever happens on the show tonight, please know I'm giving you a huge virtual hug. I'm so happy for where your life is headed! :)

MW said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Can't wait to be there watching it with ya! Whether, they're your only 15 minutes of fame or not, I wouldn't miss it for the world!

"washed-up reality show contestant" can I introduce you as that moving forward?!
; )

Unknown said...

Congrats Erin!

Jane said...

So proud of you Erin. I know you as a teammate and nice person, but I got to see you as a fierce business woman as well. Wow, really impressed. It was so fun last night! You and Tim have inspired many - to take a small fun idea and go with it and work hard on it and look where you are now! I am always amazed and awed when I see people's strenghts and talents outside of racing.

etg said...

E - don't you dare think that you're peaking at 29! I think you have a lifetime of wonderful things ahead of you...with Grease Monkey Wipes and otherwise...because of the sort of person you are. Feeling prouder than ever to know you...and not because two sharks "took the bait" but because you are such a great example of someone who followed a dream. Great things do happen to great people so continue to seek out and expect greatness. Honored to be your friend...and not just because you were on national TV!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

E--You are an inspiration to all of us when it comes to just grabbing the brass ring! Congrats on all of your success! I truly believe it's only the beginning!