Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Seattle Recap

I like bullet points today. Thus, I shall recap our Seattle trip via bullets. Pow Pow Pow!

Joe & I went to Seattle last week/weekend. I may have liked the city.... a bit...

Things we saw in Seattle:
  • Pike's Market (including absolutely amazing flowers & seafood)
  • Steinbrueck Park (nearly empty on a cloudy weekday & jam packed on a sunny weekend)
  • Seattle Aquarium (jellyfish! octopus! salmon! sea otters! pure ocean awesomeness!)
  • Ferry Ride (x 2... to Bainbridge Island & Bremerton. The city is beautiful from the water. The islands, um, were islandy? What else to say, what else to say...)
  • Pioneer Square (which happened to home to First Thursday Art Walk - while we didn't fancy any art in the galleries, we loved the neighborhood.)
  • Seattle Art Museum (which was free on First Thursday - score!)
  • Coffee + Harbor Steps
  • Kasala, which was a random furniture store filled with robots. I was giddy as could be.
  • Woodinville Wine Country: Columbia Winery, Chateau St. Michele & Redhook Ale Brewery. (The damage = 24 glasses of wine and countless beer, and the happiest boyfriend I have ever seen)
  • The monorail (Yes, monorail! monorail! mono-wha?!)
  • Seattle Center: Space Needle, EMP, the artwork from our Frommer's guide
  • Olympic Park (i.e. what heaven must look like)
  • Waterfront (complete with a Maritime festival of boats, boat building, etc.)
  • Downtown
  • Fremont Farmer's Market (which was representative of how awesome/organic/funky/etc. that little neighborhood is)
  • Fremont Troll (see above)
  • Public Transportation
  • The nicest, friendliest, kindest people I could have imagined.
Places we ate...and ate... and ate... (and drank!)
  • Dragonfish (Amazing sushi restaurant we found our first night.)
  • Lowell's in Pike's Market (amazing Seattle-esk view)
  • Crabpot (Seafood Feast per Man vs. Food. We totally conquered!)
  • Blue Acre (halibut + asparagus. so. much. asparagus.)
  • Top Pot Donuts (2 giant donuts was an interesting pre-wine tasting breakfast. soooo good)
  • Redhook Brewery (best nachos ever. And I think Joe would have gone swimming in the beer if at all possible)
  • Etta's & Dahlia Lounge (crabcakes + dungeoness crab salad + desert = om my!)
  • Tikilum Cafe (eggs benedict & dutch babies. best breakfast ever.)
  • Nola's on Bainbridge Island
  • Ivar's Clam House for drinks
  • Elliot's (oysters + scallops + halibut cheeks + raspberry lemon sorbet.)
  • Top Pot Donuts, round 2 (I mean, gourmet donuts. C'mon! We couldn't just go once!)
  • Anthony's (surprisingly good airport food. salmon sandwich goodness)
Takeaways
  • I want to move to Seattle. I don't mean "oh, it's so pretty, what a nice place to live" kind of move there. I mean, "I am already looking at job options & real estate. I am considering the logistics of a move." Granted, it wouldn't be for a year or so... and I need to check it out when the weather isn't as gorgeous... but... I just felt a connection to the city, and I know I want to be there.
  • The people there were so friendly. I had no trouble making friends and barraging them with questions about moving to Seattle.
  • I'm so glad I eat seafood now. The food was incredible. I'm going to eat it all the time when I live there.
  • I loved Fremont - and that's where I think I'll look first when I move there.
  • Did I mention I want to move to Seattle?
  • I need to take more vacations, and that might ease my desire to move to my first vacation destination in years. (Probably not. Seattle is just that awesome.)
  • First trip with Joe = 100% complete success. Not that there was any doubt, for the record! We had a blast together. He didn't even express annoyance at the extreme amount that I talked about moving to Seattle. ;)
So yeah... Seattle... um... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

5 comments:

etg said...

I warned you...that you would fall in love with Seattle. For the record, I was not really serious when I said you'd want to move there! You should forget I ever said that :)

SleeplessInSeattle said...

So, I swear I think you got my condo in the picture you took of the space needle from the Sculpture Garden!!

plain-jane said...

I love Seattle (and more so Vancouver) when the sun is out. Then I visit in November, when it drizzles. Same with March, when it drizzles some more. Have to REALLY like the damp drizzle to move there. (I thought about doing the same for years, but then I visit anytime other than summer and get depressed.)

I hear there's great cold-water diving in the Pacific - gonna get a dry suit to dive there sometime.

Tiny Bunny said...

well i guess if you move there then I have a free place to stay! But ya, don't move.

Anonymous said...

I would say to visit during the winter before you actually make a decision to move.