Monday, October 01, 2007

The Amazing Race

One of the things I've been working on lately was a brand new adventure race, called the AAFAME Amazing Race. This was a fundraiser for one of my work associations (AAFAME = Austin Association of Facility & Maintenance Engineers). Our goal was to raise $5,000 for the Angelheart Children's Shelter; I'm proud to say that we raised over $6,000!! Not bad for our first year.

The race started at 301 Congress Avenue, and teams of 2 raced around downtown completing fun obstacle checkpoints and mystery checkpoints. This is similar to the Urban Assault Race, except it is on foot, not bike. I am so excited to announce that Tim & Carri won the whole race! Their prize - $500 in travel vouchers. They kicked butt & I am really happy for them.
Here is Mike completing the "wheel barrow" challenge at 816 Congress. Mike & Rob won 3rd place, but forfeited their prize so they could hang out at Barton Springs instead of wait for the awards ceremony. (I wasn't surprised.)
Here is me with Stac, my co-chair for the race. One thing that I love about the various work associations I am in is that I become friends with people I probably never would have met otherwise. This group is filled with guys that would do anything to help you if you needed it - true, kind, wonderful people. I know I have been less than enthusiastic about work lately, but I can never complain about the people I get to work with.
So, overall - a fantastic event. I don't think it could have gone better & I am really excited to do this again next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for racing money for the Angelheart Shelter. I am sure they really appreciated it!