Monday, September 16, 2013

Do you know the way... to Santa Fe?

When Joe and I booked our trip to Santa Fe back in June, it felt like such a long way away. Of course, before I knew it, it was here. This trip was the signal that my last weekend before heading to Dallas and starting the new career had arrived. Gulp. 

Anyway, on to the trip recap! Our first stop was Albuquerque, because that's where Southwest flies. We flew out late on Friday so that we would be ready to go on Saturday morning. Before we headed to Santa Fe, we detoured to see a famous television landmark. Think Joe was excited?

No Walt sightings! (But plenty of drive-by tourists!)

Our first stop in Santa Fe was the infamous Canyon Road, which is a half mile stretch of hundreds of galleries/shops/restaurants/awesomeness. Guess who was in happy town?
Who's so happy on Canyon Road? This girl! This guy! And some red metal creature!

I had to take a picture with a horse, of course.
I don't mean to brag, but I well, I will. Knowing that the Texas A&M / Alabama game was on while we were on Canyon Road, I encourage Joe to watch the game at a restaurant bar while I kept exploring. This worked out perfectly, and I managed to see all the galleries I wanted to. If I have time I will post a "Favorites of Canyon Road" recap.  After we checked in to our hotel, we took naps and then explored the town square before grabbing dinner at The Shed.

Our Sunday started with a drive to the San Marcos Feed Store and Cafe, recommended by the "36 Hours in Santa Fe" article in the New York Times. (Love those articles!) It was a great find, and the food was incredible.  I can't remember the last time I had a cinnamon role, but I'm pretty sure this was way better. 

This totally counts as fuel for hiking. Totally.


After stuffing ourselves, we walked around the restaurant/store to see chickens, turkeys and peacocks before taking a drive down the Turquoise Trail in search of hiking options.  Not finding any, we returned to Santa Fe and spent the next three hours on the Atalaya Mountain Trail. What we thought was going to be a nice two mile jaunt turned out to be a little strenuous! But it was totally worth it as the views were incredible. (And I had a giant cinnamon role to work off!)
They really should rename this "Easier" route.

We made it to the top! And we balanced our camera on a rock! Success!

That evening we went to dinner at the restaurant inside La Fonda. Once again, we ate way too much but the food was incredible. Tableside quacamole + squash blossoms + a cashew cake + chile rellenos + chocolate malt mousse. Yeah, all that happened.

On Monday, we went to breakfast at the town favorite Pasquale's. You would think we would have gone easy on food, but no... the New Mexican cooking was too powerful for our feeble resistance! After breakfast we walked to the O'Keefe Museum, then around the square a bit more, and then decided we had properly seen Santa Fe. 


On our way back to the ABQ airport, we went for another Breaking Bad landmark siting (Jesse's house) and grabbed lunch at Mary & Tito's. Chicken sopapilla for my last New Mexican feast? Yes please!
And with that, Joe and I have checked off another vacation. It was truly a wonderful way to spend my last free funemployed weekend, and I definitely hope to come back.

No comments: