Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Reframe! Or even better, Reroof!

A funny thing happened Sunday morning. A giant pecan tree at my rental house broke in half and decided to visit the roof and attic of the master bedroom.  Maybe after looking over the roof for so long, the tree decided it was time to make a move?  Hehe.

Why is this funny? First, it is funny because the day prior Joe and I had visited the house to determine whether it was in need of tree-trimming. It wasn't.  Second, I *just* switched insurance companies which also increased the deductible by about $1,000. (Funny, I thought I was being smart by raising the property value and paying $20 more per month for insurance. Turns out that cost me for more than $20/month!)  Third, we had found damage on the front of the house the prior day... and if the tree in the front had fallen, I could have killed two issues with one fallen tree!

Alas, when it comes down to it - this is just one of those things that comes with home ownership. I've been very lucky with this house, and frankly a mild disaster was probably due.  So I think I reframe is in order!

1. As I said, I have been super lucky not to have bigger issues at the house.
2. I am not yet working so I have time to deal with this!
3. Speaking of dealing with it, Joe stepped up and is putting his PMP certification to work. By that, I mean that he is the one in charge, he's doing all the work, and I am so very thankful for that!
4. I have insurance!
5. My tenant is awesome and making this easy to deal with.
6. No one got hurt!
7. The contractor brought us farm eggs from his chickens. So that was tasty.
8. I'm getting a paycheck soon, and I know exactly what I will be doing with it!
9. Mmmmm, smoked pecan anyone?
10. It's a project. And we all know I'm a project person.  Plus it distracts me from doing excel training. 

So there we go. I'm letting the inklings of frustration go and doing my best to reframe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, at least, no one got hurt, except for your roof and attic. Next time, if you feel the need to do something, like tree trimming, just do it and don't hesitate. Being proactive will prevent such untimely wood repair. But I like how you look at the brighter side of things like making smoked pecan out of the fallen tree, and seeing the whole incident as a way to start a new project. Go for optimism!

-Joann Winton @ AJCRoofing

Unknown said...

You should've thanked your contractor a lot. Aside from fixing your roof, he also gave you tasty farm eggs! Hehe! Anyway, months have passed already. I hope the roof is already finished. I guess your tree knows the exact time when the roof needs to be replaced. You know, they always see each other 24/7. LOL! Kidding aside, how are you now? :)

Tamara Stanley @ RhinoRoofingABQ

Unknown said...

I understand your frustration, but it'd be best to fix things before they hurt anyone. Whether you reroof or reframe, you have to make sure that it's properly done to avoid damage to your family and your furniture. Months have passed already, and I wonder if you've posted updates about your roof. :)

Vernia Kale @ Muth Roofing