Monday, May 04, 2009

The Best Mother's Day

I celebrated Mother's Day a week early this year. I was so excited to spot an easy training weekend that I called my parents instantly to see if they wanted to visit me. (Perhaps how a 75 mile ride + 9 mile run became an "easy weekend" is another post all together. Anyway...)

My parents are very smart people. The conversation went like this:

E: I just looked at my training calendar and I'm thinking this upcoming weekend would be a great one for you guys to visit me! I have a long bike ride, but otherwise we'd have lots of time with each other.

D(ad): That's great news honey! Let me get your mom on the phone... pause... Carol, Erin wants us to come visit her this weekend.

M(om): Why don't you come visit us, honey?

E: Um, because I asked y'all first! Yay for YOU guys driving, not me! Unless, well, I guess I could drive... hmmmm....

D: I'll take you to the gym and we can work out together!

M: I'll buy you tons of fresh fruit and anything else you want!

D: We'll play lots of Scrabble, and I'll save the crosswords for you!

M: And the Cottonwood Art Festival is this weekend, we could all go to that!

E: OKAY!!! ... pause... Dammit, you guys got me where it counts.


Like I said, my parents are clever. Dangle an art festival in front of me and I'm there.

So, I packed up early on Friday and headed to Dallas for the weekend. It was fantastic - relaxed, laid back, full of movies, crosswords, food, Scrabble, art and SHOPPING! Shopping?! I hate shopping. I will do anything to avoid shopping. However, it's become very clear that my 5 year old running and biking apparel are not getting the job done anymore. After mentioning this to my mom, she insisted that we go look for new gear. I'll be honest, one thing I hate more than shopping is having other people buy stuff for me. Maybe it's a Jewish guilt thing, but I just don't like it. My mom, on the other hand, loves buying stuff for me. So, who am I to refuse her such pleasure.

After 2 hours in Richardson Bike Mart (which had Grease Monkey Wipes on the shelves!!!), Run On & Academy, I walked away with 3 pairs of bike shorts, 6 pairs of bike socks, 2 pairs of running shorts, 3 running tops, a new pair of shoes, 2 packages of body glide, and a calf stretcher. (My very own calf stretcher - what every girl wants!!) I told my folks I don't ever want to know the total of those receipts. I really would never have purchased that stuff on my own. But I am so thankful to them for all of my new stuff, and I can't wait to try it all out.

My mother had never reminded me more of my grandmother than she did this weekend. She said that shopping for me, and buying me new stuff, was the best mother's day gift ever. I've mentioned before how selfless she is - and this weekend was no different. (Except I got to be the really big benefactor this time!)

Yes, of course the stuff I brought home is fantastic. But more so, I am just overwhelmed with gratitude of how much my parents care about me and want me to be happy. They are 100% behind me in whatever I want to do - and in this case - they are doing everything they can to ensure I am successful at Ironman. Rather than expressing how crazy they think I am, they have embraced it because they know it makes me happy. I am one lucky girl.

1 comment:

dr mel said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend in Big D! We all need a weekend with the family like that every now and then.