Monday, November 16, 2009

Favorites from E.A.S.T.

I have a few favorite weekends in Austin. In no particular order, these are:
1) Art City Austin
2) AIA Homes Tour
3) E.A.S.T.

Coming from an East-side livin' + art lovin' Austinite - I'm thinking that E.A.S.T. might win out this year. E.A.S.T. (aka East Side Studio Tour) is just freaking awesome. Artists all over the East Side open up their homes/studios/galleries to share not only their artwork, but the space where the creation happens. So. Freaking. Awesome.

Mike, my art festival partner in crime, accompanied me on Sunday to 10 stops on the tour. Here are some highlights:

Chris Levack
I had *just* drivin by these sculptures at Mueller, curious as to what they represented, and low & behold, not but 1 hour later, I found myself in deep conversation with the artist himself! It's one thing to appreciate a piece of art... but a whole new thing to speak first hand with the artist and understand his vision for the work longterm.

Robbie Ortiz
I don't think Robbie gives himself enough credit. His art was fantastic, and I have to say his pricing was *WAY* off. For anyone looking to own some badass cubist art, check him out. He's a really nice guy, too, which for me makes the art even better.

Judy Paul
I first noticed Judy's art at the Blue Genie Christmas Bizarre last year, so I was really excited to see her new stuff. She painted one of my favorite pieces from the tour, called "Moving On," and dammit I wish Mike would have bought it. She has lots of bird & house themes. (Anyone who has seen my walls would know I like birds and houses.) By visiting Judy, we got to tour Flatbed Press as well, and see a printmaking demonstration. Very cool!


David Bjurstrom
I snuck a peek in David's space early Sunday morning... knowing that if I could show off just one place, this might be the one. I have never seen someone as talented with a pencil as this man, and I was in awe of nearly all of his pieces. In fact, if I was able to buy from any artist this year, it would have been him. I'll let his drawing speak for itself. Yes, I said DRAWING. Wow.

Okay, to end my psuedo tour of E.A.S.T.... here is where I turn a little bit nuts. When I looked at the tour map, I noticed that there was an artist right across the street from Joe's house. As in, I could see it from the front window. When I looked at the name, I freaked out. I've been following this artist for YEARS.... and I've been looking at his house for months not knowing that genius lived there!!! Of course I darted over to his studio as soon as I could. (No, I didn't admit my obsession with his work. I can remain calm when necessary, honest!)

Nate Jensen
Yeah. He's pretty much amazing. In addition to his crazy cool art, he illustrates children's books. You may have seen his Armadillo book all over Austin... Um, I'm just not even sure what to say about him and how awestruck I was that he lived next door.
And... It turns out I live next to greatness too!!! I mean, I look into this artist's studio/house from my yard! I had no idea what was inside!

Denise Prince
I saw Denise's photos during a show at Women & Their Work. I thought they were really interesting - the kind of photos that stick with you for a long, long time. I merely wanted to introduce myself to my neighbor, but when I walked inside her house and saw her photos, I was nearly gushing like a preteen at a Miley Cyrus concert. She. Rocks. (And she lives next door!!! Wheeeeee!!!)
So, there you have it. A few of my favorites from E.A.S.T. 2009. It still goes on next weekend, so check it out if you can! I'll leave you with my last favorite piece from the tour (photographed beautiful by Mike) - a metal willow tree. One last time... SO. FREAKING. COOL!!!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the Judy Paul piece.

That Prada store gets a lot of traffic

Thanks for all this - I'm going to miss EAST this year, so it helps a little to hear what was out there.

wendyspies said...

wow, austin's art scene has matured a lot since i was there. thank you for sharing. these pieces are great!

MW said...

Dammit, I was going to buy it, but you weren't giving me your checkbook.