Sunday, April 26, 2009

ART CITY AUSTIN! WAHOO!!!!

There is one event that I look forward to every year. (That is a giant understatement.) Okay, I kinda plan everything around this event. I have not missed it in 8 years. I am either there when the gates open, or oftentimes before. When I used to have spare time, I volunteered for the organization that puts on this event. The event? Art City Austin!!! 200+ artists... a real life adult playground just for me! (and the rest of the city too, I suppose...)

However, when I looked at my training schedule and saw that Art City Austin conflicted with a 100 mile bike ride, I was crushed. (That is not a giant understatement.) I'm committed to Ironman. I'm committed to training. But I LOVE the art festival. So, what's a girl to do?

To complicate matters, I didn't know anyone staying in town to ride 100. Everyone was heading to Bastrop for a T3 camping trip or to Johnson City for a ride/winery day. So this would mean 6+ hours on the bike, plus water/rest stops, plus drive time. Art Festival was not going to happen Saturday. Plus... what's the point of going if I'm not there when it opens. The best art goes quick... so an early arrival is imperative. Yes, I said imperative. This is not my first time at the rodeo.

Somehow, I convinced Alisa to run with me on Friday morning so that I could at least have weekend options. At 5:30am on Friday, I took her on a full tour of Austin and we knocked out an awesome run - perhaps even the best of the year. Then I had but a few minutes to clean up and head to a golf tournament which I worked at until 7:30pm. I was pretty tired that evening and after some Facebook pondering, made the decision that I needed some BALANCE. (And rest... but mainly balance.) Saturday would be Art Fest Day!

Best decision ever. Well, maybe not ever - but definitely this weekend. It's hard for me to put into words how much I love the art festival. In addition to the art, part of what I love is the relationships I have formed with the artists. For instance, I've been collecting Jill Mayberg's work for years now... and knowing her makes her pieces that much more special for me. There is a painting she did that I've always regretted not buying, and this year Jill had a little (and better) version of the same theme. I snagged it and I'm thrilled!!! Here it is:

Then I found a new artist - Gene Brown - and just fell in love with his pieces. I start to recognize all the "regulars" at the shows, so new artists are very exciting. I knew the instant I saw this painting, called "late night revelers" that I had to have it. There were 2 others that I could have just as easily purchased, but I think I got his best one. (Of course, that's why I bought it!)
There were tons of other artists that I hadn't seen before. My new favorite was Will Corr, and if I was rich, I would have bought at least three of his pieces. There was a new scratchboard artist, Kristian Rangel, whose work I could have looked at for hours - he had some serious talent and creativity. I got to meet Wendy Mackey in person - I have a piece of hers that I scored at an Arthouse 5x7 show. I was amazed at the giant sculptures by Todji Kurtzman, came SO close to buying a piece by Adam Homan, and I loved seeing new work by old friends Anthony Pak and Terry Powell. (I have to say I really missed my friend Barbara Franklet - I can never leave her booth without walking away with something... but alas, she's enjoying life in New Zealand!)

Needless to say, I am so happy that I chose the art festival. Triathlons are great... but I'm not willing to sacrifice the things that make me genuinly happy in order to make a workout. It feels good to know that, without guilt hanging over my head either.

And... this morning, I did manage to knock out a long ride. It wasn't the full scheduled distance, it wasn't the suggested route, but it was a great ride anyway - probably better than one I would have done yesterday, to be honest. I'm happy to say that the weekend worked out just great, and I didn't have to sacrifice a thing.

Now, if anyone wants to help me figure out where to hang everything... come on over!

5 comments:

etg said...

Yeah, E! You are right, our training is important, but it's not supposed to take joy out of our life. It's supposed to add joy to our life or at least balance out joys found in other things. I suspect you'll have memories of a better overall training/IM experience because you took the time to fit in Art City Austin - something you really love. Proud of you! (And your new pieces of art are great! I'd come and help you hang them but everyone would be ETG height which is generally too low for the average person!! I have to get a taller friend to come over when I hang art!)

dr mel said...

Glad you made this decision! I totally relate to your conflict with training and other things in life that we also enjoy. Sounds like you took care of both needs this weekend...and snagged some great artwork in the process!

Shorey said...

I liked Rebecca Bennett, Christine Hauber, Ronna Katz, and Kirk Mullenax. Lots of good stuff!

Anonymous said...

You can see some of Kristian Rangel's scratchboards here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kristian-Rangel-Vallari/44081183332

Media4 said...

Hi Erin
Its good to see someone who has keen interest in collecting art. Many people think you need to be rich but thats not necessary. I collect art myself and work for Art Collector Club.com. They give you 2 artworks a year included in membership.
Josh