Thursday, April 09, 2009

Wishing Tree & Door/Not Door

Somewhere at Greene Family Camp in Bruceville, Texas - there is a tree growing like an upside down wishbone. This tree is special because it stores countless dreams and wishes. I remember often as a kid waiting my turn to stand between the branches, placing each hand out to my side against the tree bark, closing my eyes and making a wish.

There is something so magical, yet so comforting, about traditions like the Wishing Tree. For me, I have a hard time simplifying what I want. I also have a hard time being honest with what I truly want, and then even admitting it. But you can't help but be honest in the wishing tree, or that second before you blow out your birthday candles, or just before you crack the wishbone.

I really miss the simplicity of a wish. It's not a goal, not something we have to work hard at, not something we have to strive to achieve. Instead, it's simple. It just is.

When I went for my easy 3 mile run this afternoon, I spotted something new along the trail. It wasn't obvious like the Giant Mushroom Forest but I felt very drawn to it. What I discovered was a stunning piece called "Door/Not Door" by Ryah Chistensen. Like the mushrooms, it is part of the City's Art in Public Places. It's a tall mosiac that actually simulates a tree, with an opening in the middle which I felt compelled to pass through. As I stood in the middle, I put both hands to the side and made a wish. For a second, I felt 10 years old again, simplifying everything I want in my life in just five words.

It's funny, the last sentence of Ryah's artist statment reads, "I hope that in making this piece I can call your attention to such portals in this and any environment that are inviting you to change, shift, renew…"

Well done, Ryah. Thanks for giving Austin our own beautiful wishing tree.

No comments: