Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Irons in the Fire

Where is the time going??!!

I knew this would happen. I would have all this empty time on my calendar, with goals of learning a new language, maxing out Excel, and getting incredibly fit. I think I might have been a little ambitious.

This morning Dallas, my CG coach/former trainer, stood laughing at me as I tried to muster up some strength to laugh at his jokes. 

"What's wrong with you? What time did you get home last night?" 

"11:00pm" 

"Why? You are done with school, you should be taking it easy!"

"I didn't get out done with scuba class until after 10:30!"

Laughing. "That's my girl Erin - always gotta have irons in the fire."

I'm doing pretty well at accomplishing my goals so far. I should be scuba certified by Sunday night. I'm back into a great workout routine of Camp Gladiator and swimming.  I've cleaned the house, made multiple Goodwill runs, whittled down my to-do list, and picked up numerous resources for Spanish and Excel. (Who loves the library? I love the library!)

More importantly, I am finally getting to reconnect with my friends - most of whom I have barely seen in the last two years.  And most importantly I am getting some (but not enough yet) quality time with Joe, Sam, and June. 

This blog post is inspired by an email I received from my uber-impressive friend Kevin, who is volunteering in Cambodia for a month. He is spending 12 hours a day helping kids, starting organizations, teaching English, and doing things like finding drinking water for communities! He is amazing, and reading his email makes me wonder if I am really spending my time as well as I should be.  To be honest, I don't know that I had it in me to spend more time away from home right now. So I will instead continue to be happy with my own irons in the fire while also supporting him as best I can. (Kevin - you are incredible! I don't want one guilty word out of you!)

I digress... I am not perfect. I am not an impressive volunteering awesome person like Kevin. But, I am still happy with my summer and don't regret my decision not to travel right now.  I'm writing myself off the ledge of guilt and back into the realm of gratitude for the things I am capable of doing.

And with that, I am off to meet uber-impressive Dionn and Meredith! Seriously I hang out with awesome people... Yep, I'm doing what I needed to do.

No comments: