Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thoughts on Swimming

It's odd to think that while swimming used to be my favorite discipline of triathlon, it's now my worst sport. (Running certainly gives swimming a run for the money, though!)

I was pretty fast when I swam with Monica in IronChicks. I was even faster when I swam with Meredith at Courtyard. But then I got burned out and basically quit swimming all together. After a long break, I started again at the 24 Hour Fitness pool. Kerry was certainly a good motivator. But then my free membership ran out, and it has been everything I can do to make it into water twice a week.

This morning I decided to try swimming at Stacy Pool. Got there right at 6am, only to find that a pump had malfunctioned, and thus the pool was closed. Only because I really needed to take a shower before work did I convince myself to try again at Barton Springs. Two laps, I thought. I can muster 2 laps.

Well, 2 laps became 4, and then 5. I know, it's not impressive to most of you triathletes out there. But for me, I was amazed that I had the motivation to keep going. My time was super slow (I think about 36 minutes for 1 mile) but I can tell where I have room for improvement. Thanks to some coaching from Dionn, I realized that I have been swimming all wrong. So, with some minor adjustments, I already felt more efficient and stronger. Did you know you are supposed to rotate when you swim?! And, uh, use your triceps to push water away from you? Who knew!? :) I also felt my abs working for the first time EVER during a swim.

I'm actually excited to get back into the water and try this all again. Anyone want to join me?

4 comments:

Dionn said...

Me!!

I clearly need more swimming.... ;)

MW said...

I'll gladly float on a noodle, then splish splash as you swim by.
: )

Amy said...

I'll be at BS tomorrow morning at 6am! And usually every Tuesday morning at 6am. Mmm. Cold water in the dark.

Mark said...

Damn, I was there and missed you! A group of us -- at at least a couple of different speeds -- meets at the "crack" (top of ramp down there at the shallow end) just before 6:30 for a 6:30 start. And, as Shubbe says, a couple-few get there earlier at 6 (her, her hubby Matt and, this morning, Barbara). Swimming's more fun in a draft line ...