Friday, May 09, 2008

UT Cycling Studies, Take Four!

Back in the kinesiology labs for yet another UT cycling study. Kerry & I have been hankering for another study - these things are awesome workouts. Getting paid is really just a bonus.

Anyway, the drill is as follows:
  • Fast for 12 hours before the study.
  • 7:15am - arrive at UT, get weighed, get heart rate, get strapped in, hop on the bike
  • 3+ hours: long warmup, followed by 6 x 8 minute intervals, then 6 x 3 minute intervals, then ride at 80% capacity to fatigue. (at least I think that's how they break up the first 3 hours. I just know the real study doesn't start until 3 hours in.)
  • Sound like Darth Vader throughout the ride as they check your VO2 for 4 minute intervals.
  • Pass out into big orange chair and eat, eat, eat!

I really like the new setup in the lab - I was able to watch a movie, listen to music, and watch all of my stats on a flat screen monitor in front of me. The best part is that there are now 2 bikes side-by-side, and I got to spend the majority of the study next to Kerry!

This morning was a relatively uneventful trial, but I'm pleased to say that I burned 1200 calories and knocked out 55 miles. I wish I'd gone longer during the fatigue phase, but having no food AND hearing Kerry (who was done with her ride) snack happily on her PB&J(s) behind me was not particularly motivating. :) Maybe next week!

No comments: