Monday, November 24, 2008

Back in Austin...

Turns out a quick trip to Arizona was the perfect way to shake some bad karma. I wanted to surprise some friends who were racing Ironman on Sunday, as well as get some inspiration for IMCDA, and thanks to cheap plane tickets and free board with an old friend, the trip cost me basically nothing.

Long story short... great trip. I really enjoyed seeing my friends on the course, I got tons of quality time with Mer, and I was so glad to return the favor of playing sherpa. The Ironman is definitely an experience - at one point it was me and 2200 athletes in wet suits and swim caps. (That's what I got for sneaking into places I shouldn't have been.) However, I was not nearly as inspired as I'd hoped I'd be - though happy for my friends and team, I still don't have much, if any, desire to do an Ironman. Hopefully that changes, but for now I'm enjoying some off time. I guess I do have about 7 months to get my head in the game, so I'm not going to stress!

Lastly, I want to say that the past few weeks have been difficult ones for me. I've been retreating and hiding and going "off the grid." It's nothing personal, but it's what I've needed to do to stay sane. (If I could even call it that!) I'm so happy to report that I'm coming out the other side way better than I thought possible.

5 comments:

etg said...

I'm excited for you to do an Ironman! And for me to do it with you:) Lucky us to get to train together - or at least I feel lucky. We'll get through it and I dare say I think we'll enjoy it. But for now, day by day...whether it's good or bad, each day will come and go and the possibilities of the next day being better than the day before are very real. Here's to brighter days ahead of you, Erin...you've got them coming!!!

Priscilla said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not looking forward to the Ironman either :( I'd rather do marathons, but I'm going to gut it out. I'm hoping I'll be inspired and motivated come January. If you were to ask me today, I'd be on the fence.

holly said...

I'm sure your inspiration will come!

As for retreating and hiding, no need to explain. Good friends will be there when you need them. That's what they're for :)

meredith said...

I loved sharing happy fun time with you!! Yea for same thoughts on cheering!!

Jess said...

it was so great to see you out on the course...you put a huge smile on my face...and gave me courage right before i hit the water...also seeing you guys on the bridge was great!!! what an amazing day...it's not about doing an ironman it is about the process...the steps it takes to get there...