Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving from Dallas, Texas!

This morning, Dad & I ran the YMCA Turkey Trot. Dad opted for 3 miles and I opted for 8 miles. It has been exactly 5 years since I ran this race. In 2003, I had just started running. I was only 3 months in to Austin Fit and never dreamed I'd be able to run a race not doing the run/walk method.In 2003, it took me 1:25:40 to finish 8 miles. That's 10:42/mile. It was painful. It was horrible. It was also incredibly rewarding, as I knew it was just the start of things to come. My coach Jeff & I ran together... here we are!


Fast forward to 2008. I had no expectations about this race other than it being a supported training run, and surely I could beat 10:42/mile. Armed with some new shoes and a carefree attitude, I am pleased to say I knocked out this race in 1:06:01. That's 8:15/mile. Nearly 2:30/mile faster than 2003 and 20 minutes overall. In the process, I set a new 10K PR - 51:16. Considering my previous PR is 59:28... um, yeah. It wasn't like I was trying to race a 10K either, I was merely trying to pace myself - for once - so I wouldn't blow up at the end - like I always seem to - and maybe have a positive race experience - which was much needed - and get over being so hard on myself about running - etc...

Perhaps I should shut up and just be thankful for running. I'm such a freaking headcase about it, but in the end - I'm so much better than I was when I started. (Really, 5 years ago I could not run one mile.) Now, I actually enjoy it. Most importantly, I'm going to be able to finish that damn marathon at IMCdA!!!

After Thanksgiving dinner (french toast & migas - I love my parents!) I finished the day with a 20 mile bike ride down to White Rock Lake and back. I'm a slowpoke on my bike, thanks to ignoring it for the past month, but today I was just thankful to be out on the trail, enjoy the fall afternoon, and reflect on my life over the past year.

What did I realize? Life is pretty damn good. Everything seems to be coming together just fine, honestly. (Much of it in the past week or so, but I will take it gladly!!!!) I have so much to be thankful for.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Yay, Erin! Congratulations!
We're both so cute with our running hangups. :)

meredith said...

see you are a runner!! you can't ever claim anything else again :)

etg said...

Yes! Your running program IS making you faster! I'm so happy for you...and, by the way, if you're a slowpoke on the bike I might as well be riding a bike with training wheels:) You are a runner and a cyclist and a swimmer...and a future Ironman at CDA in June!!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Holy Crap--8:15s???? WHat's this about being slow?!?!

md said...

You absolutely ROCK!!! damn!!! 8:15??? geez...how am I supposed to hang with you?
congrats on an awesome run!

Unknown said...

Yup, be happy & thankful you can run.