Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Walk Through El Raval

Now that Joe is back, I am adjusting my schedule a bit so that I can spend more time with him.  For instance, we went exploring a new-to-me area of Barcelona on Thursday morning, and then by 3pm we were both set up working. (Him on actual work, me on a geopolitics paper about America's relationship with the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. Fun, right?) Anyway...

We consulted TripAdvisor's Barcelona Cityguide for a suggested itinerary and selected #7 called "El Raval's Cultural Highlights and Hidden Gems."  I was surprised that I hadn't yet seen a lot of the places on this itinerary, and thus was pretty excited to try it out. Here's how it went.

1. Placa Sant Vicenc Martorell, a very cute little hidden square with a bar called Kasparo that I hope to go back to.

2. The MACBA, which is one of Barcelona's modern art museums and actually one I will be returning to on a field trip with my Philosophy class! Pretty excited to check this one out, and the design was so different than other areas in Barcelona.

3. Carrer del Doctor Dou, a commercial street full of funky galleries. Honestly it was largely under construction, which goes to show how much this neighborhood is undergoing transformation.

4. Antic Hospital de la Santa Creu, the Gothic hospital complex built in 1401 most known because Gaudi died here in 1926.  It has been re-purposed to be an art school, an exhibition space, and the home of Catalonia's national library.  Yes... a library! Happiness!!!!  The courtyard was quite beautiful - especially the old staircases. It was also filled with tons of hipsters and Bob Marley music.
5. Rambla del Raval, which is a short promenade similar to the main Las Ramblas but a big rougher.  The demographics of this neighborhood were very different, and I felt a bit like I was back in Morocco.  At the end of this street is "El Gat" which was fabulous. I can't believe I might have left Barcelona without seeing this Boteroro masterpiece - what a trip!
I liked this mosiac nearby that paid homage to El Gat.
6. Sant Pau del Camp, Barcelona's oldest church. It is clearly off the beaten path, as I don't really remember reading about it before. I am so happy we went - it was a gorgeous little church.  Granted it was largely surrounded by construction, but I "expertly" managed to avoid capturing it.  (Funny how we take pictures that don't *really* capture what the scene is like but they look pretty.)





We were running out of time, so this ended our tour... I've already seen Palau Guell and we will go to London Bar when Joe can actually have some beer instead of getting ready for work.  Overall, an excellent little walking tour that I am so glad I didn't miss!

No comments: