Thursday, February 28, 2013

Start Date Dilemma

I realize my blog has been filled with fun and travel recently.  Some (most) of you have asked if I am even doing schoolwork over here.  (The answer is yes, by the way. But remember I front-loaded my coursework so I would have an easier time here in Barcelona.)  So here is a post about what's going on inside my brain these days.

Soon I will be returning to the workforce and thinking back longingly at the adventures I am posting these days.

That brings me to the following dilemma.  When should I start working? I have three options: late August, late September, and mid January. In typical consultant fashion, I created a 3x2 chart to analyze the pros and cons of each date.  I also created a list of what I want to accomplish this summer, which includes:
  • Spanish Immersion for minimum of 4 weeks, maximum of 8 weeks
  • Resume some semblance of eating healthy and working out. (lack of access to Spanish food should help!)
  • A girl's weekend with Jenna+Annie+Rachel
  • Possibly a trip with my parents? <-- are="" idea="" if="" interested="" ll="" recent--="" recent="" see="" they="" we="">
  • Spend some serious time in Excel in preparation of making my life easier once I start work
  • Reconnect with all of my Austin friends at least once during the summer
I can probably fit all of this in and still have a few weeks left if I start in August.  But then again, why not wait until September and give myself another option? Or... I could start and January and my employer will pay me to do the foreign language immersion.  (But only if I start in January. Which means I lose a minimum of three months income not starting in September or August.)

I know the best logical answer. But I feel like I am not capitalizing fully on the opportunity to have some time off if I start in August. I could travel more, work for a non-profit, take a crazy part-time job, or really do anything!  I think this is one of those times where a wise sage would really come in handy. Therefore, I welcome opinions on this one!  Seriously, please comment or send me an email or anything - I want to know thoughts on this.

1 comment:

MW said...

the only way i support the spanish immersion is if NO ONE that speaks english comes to visit you, and you go for 8 weeks. and by no one, i really mean ZERO.

I think September is the right choice. Time to get off your vacation and start working, missy!
;)