Saturday, November 11, 2006

I Heart Running

This morning's long run was the 16-mile Campus Loop. We basically made a huge circle around downtown Austin, from Runtex Riverside down to Congress & Oltorf, all the way to Lake Austin & Enfield, up to Shoal Creek & Hancock, over to Duval & 38th, down through Campus, down Congress and back to Runtex.

Well... what a morning!!! It was gorgeous outside, and I kept my long sleeve shirt until 3 miles left to go. I ran with some new buddies, Brewrunners Robin & Sarah, and they were so much fun. We had a great, consistent pace the whole run. The best part was running down Congress, alongside the Veteran's Day Parade. I was really proud of myself, because this long run was so much more enjoyable than any of my runs last year.

Then came the ice bath. I know they are so good for me, but damn if they don't hurt! Cold water + 2 10lb bags of ice = OWWW!!! Luckily I was distracted by Wednesday's crossword puzzle and sudoko. It was worth it, I feel so good right now.

Today was one of those days that I fell in love with running again. I love covering more distance by foot than I like to do by car. I love exchanging "good morning"s to other runners/walkers/cyclists along the route. I love getting to smell of the first pot of coffee brewing at Jo's on South Congress. I love getting to bond with people over 16 miles. And I love the sense of accomplishment I feel by 9:30am.

Yes, yes, yes... I heart running.

-Erin

PS. Good luck to the Motive Runners tomorrow! I'll be there cheering for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! 16!! that's awesome! I wish I could have been out there with you, maybe next weekend.
so nice to read your love for running, and yes! what a great morning. see you in the am.
~maggie