Wednesday, November 22, 2006

U.T. Cycling Study - Experimental Ride #1

This morning was my second ride at U.T. It was so much better than last time! In fact, I (maybe?!) kind if enjoyed it. I got a leg massage yesterday in hopes that my left calf wouldn't cramp up again. (It waited at least 2 hours before the cramp started today.) I mimicked what I ate last week, for the most part, and got to sleep by 9:30pm. The biggest help was that I had music today, so instead of listening to the hum of the stationary bike, I got to rock out. So to speak.

The two other differences were that they stuck a catheter in my arm and drew blood every 20 minutes or so. I couldn't really bend my right arm which was kind of weird. Also, the drink they gave me actually had calories. (I gained weight during this study!)

Anyway, by the time I hit performance mode, after about 2.5 hours I think, Cake's "Stick Shifts & Safety Belts" came on and I was singing along. One of the lab assistants commented that he needed to up the intensity if I was going to be singing. I shut up. I lasted in performance mode for almost 30 minutes - so I was quite pleased. I'll admit, it's hard to stay on the bike and really push when there is a fresh peanut butter and jelly sandwich waiting for me when I stop. But I think about Lulu, and how she would push until she couldn't, then push more - and I keep going. Everyone told me that it was an excellent ride, and I was really pleased.

Panther happened to call after I was done, and we layed out my "moving-forward" schedule. Here it is:
Monday: Easy Run + Gym or Core Class
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Quality Ride (duration of cycling study)
Thursday: am-Swim, pm- Run
Friday: Bike + optional gym
Saturday: Long Run
Sunday: Quality Brick

So, it's official! The schedule is in place. Here we go again!!!

3 comments:

Lulu said...

Great work today. You are a rockstar!

I got my schedule today also. Lots of cycling and running. Go figure!

MW said...

Hey! are you not QW'ing with us on Wednesdays anymore? : (

Erin said...

Just for 3 more weeks... then I'm back! I may join for some easy runs though, we'll see.