Saturday, August 15, 2009

Get Out There AND Enjoy It!

At Shabbat dinner last night, Lara & her darling roommate Pam asked everyone at the table to share their highlight of the week and/or lesson learned from the week, plus their favorite fictional character.

Favorite fictional character - easy. The Cheshire Cat! I love that sneaky smiley cat. ;)

Highlight/Lesson from the week - happens to be the same lesson I've been learning all year. You have to put yourself out there, AND you have to have fun doing it. Had I not called Lara yesterday, I wouldn't have realized she lived a 5 minute walk from where I was staying. Had I not decided to stay for Shabbat dinner, I would have missed out on meeting wonderful people and enjoying quite possibly one of the best homemade meals I have ever had. (Holla for Lara's Challah!!!)

It would have been easy for me to say "I haven't seen this girl since in over 9 years... too much time has passed and it will be awkward. What will we have to catch up on? Might as well stay here." Luckily I didn't. It was as if those 9 years disappeared and we were as close as we were when we took the above picture at age 16. (We both look the same, by the way!) I am so happy to have reconnected with my dear friend, and to have met new ones. Plus, hearing Lara & Pam sing the prayers was beautiful - I had goosebumps!

Over the past few weeks, I have been doing things that I think are utterly crazy - the things that could have my stomach in knots, causing sleepless nights and panic. But instead - I am putting myself out there with the sole intention to have fun and enjoy the experience.

Says the Cheshire Cat. ;)

No comments: