Thursday, August 27, 2009

I am in love...

with this painting by Graydon Parrish. Tonight I swung by the new AMOA exhibit, Chuck Close - A couple of ways of doing something. I thought the tapestries were impressive, but otherwise the exhibit didn't really capture my attention.

However, AMOA is doing this great thing where they highlight their own collection now (finally!) plus works from people's private collections. This painting, tucked in a corner, literally took my breath away. It sounds cliche', I know, but it did. This image does it no justice at all, and I even debated putting it up. Just trust me on this one - it's amazing. At least it was for me. (And frankly, that's what's so great about art. It makes no difference what a piece means to anyone else but you.

4 comments:

graydon said...

Thank you very much for you post,

Graydon

graydon said...

That is, your post. I am really enjoying the Austin art scene.

erin said...

Graydon - how awesome (and random) that you found my blog post. Great to hear from you. Are you new to Austin? If you have any shows/galleries/studio tours/etc... I would LOVE to come! This painting was really incredible - I've been talking about it for days.

graydon said...

Moved to Austin last year. I love it here. The art community is very fresh and open minded. I have a show scheduled for 2010 in NYC. Hopefully I can do much more with Arthouse, the Blanton and AMOA.

Thank you again!