Monday, August 10, 2009

Stepping up to the Plate

Back in May, I wrote how one of my dearest friends told me this:
"Please do not back out now. You can't hit the home-run unless you get up to bat and swing."

And I wrote: "Gotta remember this one, it's so simple but so true. ... Batter Up!"

Thanks to his encouragement, I picked up my bat and stepped up to the plate. Low & behold, I made contact! When I told him I got a run, he just smiled knowingly and said "I told you so." (Thank heaven for friends like this, the ones that stand up for you when you're not sure your legs will hold.)

I've been meaning to write about this year - but I've been too busy living it lately. It has been amazing... just when I think things can't get any better, they do. What I've learned this year is that I won't get anywhere without putting myself out there. It's scary stepping up to bat, but it's scarier to think of all the opportunity I could be missing out on if I don't swing.

I could write a novel about my year: my lessons, my triumphs, my adventures... and it's only August. Or, you could just take a look at the giant smile on my face and get the point. What a damn good year. By the way, someone would have to tear the bat out of my hands at this point - there's no way I'm going to stop swinging.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I'm so happy for you E!
love you!