Friday, June 10, 2011

Confession.

Hi. My name is Erin. I'm a closet-afraid-of-public-speaking-holic.

What's that? I used to speak competitively on my high school and college mock trial team? I've spent the past 8 years speaking in front of various associations of 100+ people each month? I've taught continuing education classes to groups of all sizes? I appeared on national television giving a 3 minute pitch and made it through? And I'm afraid of public speaking?

Yes. I admit it. I hate that it freaks me out so much. In 2003, I joined Toastmasters to overcome the fear. It started to work, actually! But then life got too busy, and I got complacent, and well... the fear came right back. Before pitching GMW on ST, I took a public speaking class for 6 weeks. I learned some good tips. Minus my tv moment which I promise you can hear my voice quiver at first, it didn't take. Later I thought, why don't I create a Toastmasters group for my work associations? And... with lots of help... I did! However, I never actually gave a speech and then I quit.

Time to think outside the box. Well... how about improv classes? Yes, those certainly help, but I still felt that horrible shortness of breath/elevated heart rate/panic feeling at times during class. So... back to what works... I'm joining another Toastmasters group for the summer. (Thanks Taline for getting me back!)

I went to the first meeting last week and gave a Table Topic Speech about one time I snuck out of the house in high school. (Bad Erin! Very bad Erin!)With a table topic, you have about 10 seconds to prepare a 1-2 minute speech. I knew I was going to be called on, and I started experiencing all the usual panicky symptoms, but then once I started speaking I realized, "I'm okay." In fact, I even had fun talking! I don't think my voice quivered, I used tips from my public speaking course, and I channeled my inner improvisationer (is that a word?) to tell my story.

It was fun, I dare say! It gave me hope that improv is working and that toastmasters will help even more. In fact, I jumped right in and signed up to give my icebreaker speech (a 3-5 minute intro speech) next week. I have no idea what to talk about yet, but I have some ideas. In fact, I shall brainstorm them now!
1) The journey of my fear of speaking
2) How I like to take on 100 projects at once, and explain some of them.
3) Why I am learning from improv classes.
4) What it's like being an only child.
5) How I have bit off more than I can chew this summer, and how I need to prioritize.
6) I like robots.

Okay, that's about it for now. (I mean, it's 6pm on a Friday, what can I say.) I'm welcome to suggestions! And I'm also welcome to positive thoughts on my road to a return of enjoyment of public speaking.

3 comments:

Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said...

Good luck! I completely understand the practice thing. That's exactly how improv or meeting new people goes for me, too; requires continual practice. Also, I agree robots are awesome.

Taline said...

Your icebreaker was awesome. Can't wait to hear more! So wonderful to have you in the club!