Monday, August 15, 2011

First Day of School!

It's hard to believe that today is my first official day of school. I've already been at McCombs for three out of the past four weeks participating in Boot Camp, Orientation, and Academic Intensive Week. I have found the past month to be extremely helpful in re-acclimating to b-school. When I walk through the building, I recognize my peers and advisers, know where the classrooms are, feel somewhat comfortable with routine, and can find seven places for fresh coffee within a quarter mile radius.

Academic Intensive was particularly helpful in getting a jumpstart in accounting, statistics, and finance. That being said, I had to miss two days to attend a funeral. When I returned, my friends presented me a beautiful sympathy card and worked to get me back to speed without a second thought. That kindness was something I will never forget when I think about the people at McCombs.

Tonight, my agenda includes studying for my first accounting quiz tomorrow, starting my first statistics homework, setting up an account on a mock-investment game for finance, reading over my MBA+ project proposal, and setting up meeting times with my study group. (Again, this was my first day of class! That "drinking from the firehouse" analogy gets used all the time for a reason!)

I should mention that I am loving my classes, even in spite of the aforementioned workload. I'm already learning so much, and I know I'm only just scratching the surface.  Again, it's all more confirmation that b-school was right for me!
I have a feeling views like this (pic taken in the Baltimore airport) will be my norm for the next two years.  That backpack will be getting some mileage!

1 comment:

Jess said...

nice backpack! :) you are going to kick ass at b-school!!