Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday!

Fridays = no classes!

In other words, Fridays = study study study study study ... blog ... study!!!

Here's my blog break to catch up on the week. 

I guess the most obvious thing is that I successfully finished my first week of the MBA program. I had a quiz in accounting, statistics homework due, an economics case to read, a start to my finance homework and a LOT of studying/reading to do. Some notes: First, even though they have posted the quiz grades for accounting, I haven't looked. I did this in undergrad too - not looking for a few days - and I intend to do it still. As of this point, I will assume I did fabulously and go about my business. :) Second, homework doesn't mean "answer these questions and go about your day." In reality homework means "spend between 5 & 10 hours deciphering what these questions are asking, trying to figure out the answer, conferring with your classmates, then either start from square one again or move on." Third, I am completely lost in my statistics class. I feel like I foreigner in that class, not understanding the language and struggling to figure it out. Ordinarily I would probably be less stressed about this except that I need to know stat to succeed in my future marketing classes. For what it's worth, at least the prof is entertaining. He's quirky as can be, which means I like him. :)  Fourth, I already feel far beyond and I'm chiding myself for not reading books and doing MBA math this summer. Bad move.

All that being said, I'm not *that* concerned since grades aren't the ultimate goal of this program. Passing? Yes. But being #1 - not so much. I've done a few social things, including the MBA Etiquette dinner at the Driskill, where I learned how to behave during a formal interview or business dinner. Here are some friends getting our etiquette on!

At Etiquette Dinner, I realized that I am officially a suit. When we walked into the Driskill, I saw a bunch of suits at the bar and walked right past before realizing that those were my people.  I looked down, saw my business professional attire, and returned to my clan.

I also attended Football 101 at the Stadium... and while I certainly didn't need to learn the basics of football, I still enjoyed the class (and the view!) 
I've found a study-partner-in-crime who fights homework problems with me, and I am grateful to him and his work ethic.  I've also decided to squat on his study group, which was particularly helpful in getting my stat homework completed.

I am proud to say that I've fared this week pretty well. I made it to the gym every morning before class. Taline & I decided to be our own personal trainers and have thus far held each other accountable to exercise. I love getting my workout done early, and then zipping from downtown to campus without traffic. I've also packed my food every day which is heavy, but saving me money and the worry of "what should I eat today?" Of course, now that I'm at home today I keep finding myself in the kitchen.  Doh.

And speaking of the kitchen - it's DONE!!!! I will post pictures soon. Yay for running water!!!!!

Okay, I must stop writing and go tackle accounting now. I must, I must, I must.

1 comment:

MW said...

i have a good friend whom is a statistics professor at Texas State. I'm pretty sure he'd be more than happy to help you out at Starbucks or so. he lives downtown.
let me know if you want an introduction.

business dinner etiquette. sounds useful. can i go to that without being in the school?