Thursday, August 11, 2011

Grandpa...

*From my reading at Grandpa's funeral Wednesday. Rest in peace, Grandpa.
My Grandpa Chester was an inspiration to all of us. I’m sure each and every one of you here today has something to share on how he touched your life.  I have been so touched to hear stories about him and listen to ways he impacted us all. Today I’d like to share a few gifts that my grandpa gave me to explain ways he impacted my own life.
First, Grandpa passed on his love of learning.  He was by far one of the smartest men I ever knew – and would always have an interesting story or fact up his sleeve about anything you could think of. Grandpa was always doing something to stay sharp and mentally active like telling puns, playing games, and solving the New York Times crossword puzzle in about 5 minutes. Also, my Grandpa clearly loved the library – I feel that the fact I belong to three library districts is a credit to him. 
Second, Grandpa taught me the value of being quiet.  When I was little, I used to think he wasn’t paying attention because he often didn’t say anything in conversation.  But as I got older, I realized that my Grandpa had a very special skill of speaking. He was a master of listening, and then when he spoke, his words were meaningful and everyone paid attention.  Again, I have Grandpa to thank for my appreciation of words and for an appreciation of listening.
Third, I have my grandpa to thank for one of the most important parts of my life – my dad.  Last November I was able to host Thanksgiving at my house in Austin. What I remember most about that trip was how similar my dad and grandpa were, and how much they loved one another. I see so much of my Grandpa in my dad... Both men who place great value on serving others and building relationships… both men who feel no need to earn recognition for their contributions… and both men who love their families wholeheartedly. The more I got to know my grandpa, the more I am honored to be part of the Whalen lineage.
Today, as I stand before his funeral, I am sad. But I am also happy that I have Grandpa Chester for a grandfather. I will forever value the gifts he gave me, and I aim to be like him – living life to the fullest, up to the very end.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Erin that's such a sweet write-up. I'm sorry for your loss. Your Grandpa sounds amazing!