Sunday, August 07, 2011

Product Camp 7

After being at UT all week, one of the last places I wanted to go at 8:30am Saturday was... back to UT. But... Joe's brother John had long ago suggested I check out Product Camp, and since it was on a Saturday, and I had no other plans until 4, and since I really had no good excuse why I shouldn't go (sleeping in didn't qualify), I went.

As always, I'm glad I went. To start, this "camp" wasn't like many of the other conferences I've been to. First, it was free. Second, everyone voted on the sessions first thing in the morning and they modified the schedule to serve what the attendees wanted.  Third, it was not a sales/pitch event at all - just learning and networking.

I attended five sessions, ranging in topics from Opportunity Analysis, Product Strategy, and Requirements Definitions. I learned about sizing, segmenting, and forecasting markets, as well as tips to think outside the box in product marketing, and information on creating personas. Maybe I will learn all of this in b-school, but it's really interesting to learn these things as they are being practiced in the real world. Additionally, the networking was great as well.  I love being able to say I'm an MBA student! It's like the golden ticket of networking.

Some of my camp takeaways: by seeking out the presenter who interested me the most, I learned a lot about my marketing area of interest; by asking questions, I got opinions not only of the presenters but of successful product managers as well; by taking lots of notes, I actually remember what I learned!

I will definitely be going to more events as my schedule permits.  I can't understand why more people wouldn't take advantage of things like this!

 I promise I'm not sleeping here... this was a "brain opening" exercise. :)
 That's me at the left, taking vigorous notes. Yes, I am that dorky. And yes, I now know what TAM, SAM, and SOM are. So there!

No comments: