Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Free Tuesday #4: MNAC

My Tourist Tuesday took me to Montjuic via metro to Placa Espanya.  Side note: it was funny how easy it was to get there this time, as opposed to my 50 minute bus ride and somewhat getting lost when I went to the Miro Museum.  Anyway, my main goal was to visit the MNAC, or Museum of National Catalan Art.  I've been hitting a lot of museums lately, so I wanted to give myself an easy day today with only one big thing on my to-do list.

As it happened, I got to see another - the reconstructed Mies van der Rohe Pavilion.  Ironically we were just talking about him in Philosophy yesterday, so I was excited to see it in person. I didn't actually go inside because we might be taking a field trip there. But really this is the entire thing anyway!
Then I headed to the MNAC! Let me tell you that the scarf + coat were way too much after the climb to get up there!
The museum is good. It's not really fair to compare it to the museums I have seen recently, and I also admit I am not very informed about Catalan artists.  But it was still good.  I started to take pictures of a few of my favorites.  The two immediately below are "saved" murals from different churches in Spain. I love how they had to reconstruct parts of the churches in order to showcase the murals.
There were a few school groups there, and I actually stayed to listen to the guide for a bit. I can understand it when people speak Spanish to kindergartners... kinda!
When I got to the second floor, I was rewarded with a beautiful view of the interior of the museum.
And lots of modern art! (With the exception of some El Greco's and some Baroque paintings, I was ready to not look at any more religious paintings!) Here were some of my favorites... I included the wall placards if you want more info.






And then I found myself in the giant auditorium. So cool for a museum!!
After that I wandered around Montjuic for a bit, admiring the views.  (The view below is the telecommunications tower - mean to look like an Olympian receiving his medal! So cool.)

And the views! For reference I was exactly opposite here last week.
Overall it was a good Tuesday. I'm heading to Berlin & Prague on Thursday, and I admit I am a little tired.  But there is still so much to do.... :)

No comments: