Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spanish anyone?

One of my biggest regrets in life is not sticking to a foreign language.  Ironically, I didn't have to take a language in undergrad, so after 3 years of high school Spanish, I was done.

And for the next 12 years I didn't think about it at all.

Then I realized that I would basically need to know another language if I want to work outside the US.  Doh.

I thought my Spanish might improve in Barcelona. It is a little, but I get confused with Catalan and honestly, everyone around me (even at school) speaks English.  I'm doing small things to work on it (Intercambio, practice only speaking Spanish for a short time, online tools...) but it's not really helping. I need something more drastic and more disciplined.

Which leads me to what I am currently pondering for my upcoming summer break.  Spanish Immersion in Central or South America.  Essentially, I would live with a family full-time and take Spanish ~25 hours a week, most likely with my own private tutor. Beyond that I would immerse myself in the town, rest, practice, and maybe learn how to salsa dance? The programs are very affordable.  And this would be an experience to push me way beyond my comfort zone. 

So I'm putting the idea out there to simmer. I'm thinking of doing maybe 4-5 weeks... maybe more? My goal would be to be at least conversationally capable. And experience a new part of the world.  Maybe Guatemala?  I'm doing the research now... and trying to build some confidence!

2 comments:

JohnF said...

When I was in Granada, Nicaragua, I did a homestay with a local family for a few nights. There was another tenant from Europe who was there doing the immersion language training. She went to language school during the day. She also told me she spent several weeks doing the same in Guatamala before moving to Nicaragua for another month. Slowly making her way to South America. Sort of made me want to try that if ever I have an extended amount of free time.

You might also consider something around Leon, Nicaragua, where there is a little more of a local art scene. I found Nicaragua to be fairly cheap, off the beaten tourist path (more immersion), lots of options for day/weekend trips, and people were always friendly.

erin said...

Hi John! Thanks for the feedback. I am also considering doing 2 schools. So much research to do! I trust your opinion so thank you! :)