Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sleep + Art

Today was awesome. It was dark and gloomy outside this morning, so I opted to sleep in for bit. At 10:00am, when my phone went off, I finally got up... guess I needed the sleep.

Then I laid in bed for a while and just stared out the window. No running. (No guilt either, luckily.) Just laziness and calm. It was really nice.

The rest of the day was full of awesome art things. I mapped out a route of galleries and studios on the East Austin Studio Tour, starting with one of my favorite local artists - Jennifer Balkan. Not even one studio into the tour, and I'd already purchased an adorable little painting of a lost pig.

After touring some other places, we headed to the Austin Museum of Art for the new Roy Lichtenstein exhibit and a lecture by the collector. This guy was awesome - one of the best museum lectures I have ever heard. One thing that really spoke to me was when he said, "Art to me is like a mini vacation. Every time you look at it, it takes you away somewhere else. I need art in my space. I need art around me to live." I couldn't agree more. (That's why my house is filled with art and I don't take many vacations!) I HIGHLY recommend this exhibit - one of the best I feel the museum has had in a while.

After the lecture, we hit more studios and then headed to Terry & Pat's to see how he did at his home show. Met up with Tim & Rhonda for a bit which was a nice treat. Tonight I'll figure out the remaining places that I want to check out tomorrow. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of galleries and studios in East Austin - there are over 200 artists on this tour. Sometimes I just can't get over how cool Austin is.

Hopefully I will run tomorrow, and maybe hit the gym and swim. And then more art... I can't think of many better ways to spend the weekend.

(By the way, here is one of Terry's most recent paintings. I LOVED this painting, but someone else snatched it up. The little green bird with the orange head on the bottom rocks!!!)

2 comments:

Scot said...

Oh yeah, ICE, we know why you like it...soley because it reminds you of the cover of TMBG's new album, The Else. Tres Cool work. And, no comment would be complete w/o a Scooterism du jour: people create art, art bears beauty, beauty inspires goodness and goodness...well, it makes the world go 'round... ; )~

Unknown said...

I knew there was something I forgot to do this weekend. I wanted to go to the pop art lecture at AMOA. I'll be sure and catch the show while it is on, though.