Saturday, November 03, 2007

WurstRide Metric Century

I am still unsure why I thought it would be a good idea to ride a metric century (63 miles) considering my recent lack of cycling. My last "long ride" was 49 miles on July 29th, and since then it's pretty much been short trips around the Veloway.

But I promised Kerry I would do it. And I promised Scot I would do it. And I have been bailing on both of them left and right lately, so I needed to actually do something I said I was going to. And what the hell, how hard can 63 miles be?! (For the record, I was promised "nice & easy" pacing!)We left the LCRA complex off Montopolis at 8:00am. Justin & I started out slow, while Kerry & Dionn took off. (Shock! Easy ride pace?! Whatever!) By the first reststop, I was thinking there was no way I could keep up with them for 50 more miles. So I met up with Scot and rode with him for a bit. Unfortunately his riding partner was holding us back, so I forged ahead and rode with Laura & Kris for a bit. (So awesome to see them, btw!) By the second water stop, I found my original group and decided to try and hold on for dear life with them. Thankfully, Kerry stayed with me and they didn't go too fast. We picked up Panther at the halfway point, and once again I just tried to hold on and keep them in eyesight.

I was so frustrated at my lack of cycling fitness. I was so strong just a few months ago, but not today. I'll get back to it, but it's going to take some work. I was so happy when we reached the finish and I could finally relax! However, I did have an amazing time with the group. It was so much fun to be back on a long ride again. And the weather was perfect too.

After the ride, we all hung out to enjoy free sausage and beer. (I "enjoyed" gatorade and a granola bar. Not the best vegetarian friendly finish!) As I talked to Panther about why I sucked so much on the bike, he wondered if I've still been hitting the gym. (Hell yes I am!) I told him yes, and bragged that I'm up to 310 on the leg press. This is when he wanted to see if I could press him, so I offered to try! Anyway, this was a really fun ride. I'm motivated to get training again.

4 comments:

Scot said...

I'm sticky to my "Missouri Perspective" on the (insert squeaky Erin voice) "I can leg press 300lbs. thing." Show me. BTW, you owe Wiley $20. You not only left the Travis, Williamson and Hays County Austin-plex on Saturday, but you ventured into Caldwell, Guadalupe and Comal Counties on as well, you little Sass Queen! ; )

Lulu said...

Sat was awesome! I am so glad that Scot guilted you into it (dont try to act like it had anything to do with all the guilt I was throwing all week). And you will be rocking the bike in no time. I had a blast!!

Stomp!

Unknown said...

I had a fun ride too. Wimped out and did the 50K, which seemed to be about 8 miles short. My ankle thanked me.

Good to see you on the trail yesterday, too.

Missychel said...

i wish i could have been there. :(