Monday, April 07, 2008

Uh... Where did Spring go?

Phil & I ran the 7 mile loop tonight. Uh, where the hell did Spring go?

It was really very hot. And I'm stating that as fact, not as a complaint. (more on that momentarily). I was feeling so stoked from yesterday that I thought, "sure, I can keep up with Phil." He's had the flu recently, and been basically housebound, so I thought I had a chance. And... not so much. He's fast as ever. And me, well - I'm not used to this heat at all and I was slow as ever!!!

We made it. But it was hard and brutal. It took everything I had not to finish strong. But, I did it. With walk breaks. And I gotta say - I'm glad for the Cesar Chavez renovation because it gives me an excuse to go slow and/or walk. Shhhh!

We were talking about complaining, and Phil mentioned some interesting things. His friends have been reading this book about how to stop complaining and change your mental outlook. They wear wristbands, and every time they complain they have to change the wristband to the other hand. It's an interesting exercise, because most of them couldn't keep the wristband on the same hand for more than an hour or so. I am not sure that I want to engage in that experiment, but I did decide to become more cognoscent about my complaints. (I suck at running! The heat makes me tired! I want to be done!)

Specifically, when it comes to running, I am going to try to stop the negative self-talk. Instead of "I suck so much. Why won't I ever be fast?!" I will say, "It really is amazing that I've gone from an 11:00 easy pace to a 9:00 easy pace." We'll see how it works out.

Anyway, Wednesday... 10 miles.... uh, I'm guessing I'll aim for the morning for that run. Not sure I'm ready for this heat yet! Any takers?! ;)

No comments: