Monday, March 30, 2009

ENOUGH!!!!

Rant starts... now.

People. (Friends.) You are training for an Ironman. You are doing something incredible. The fact that you are out there, conquering the miles, conquering the distance, muscling through this both physically and mentally.... THAT is amazing.

Who cares what place you finish. Who cares what the clock says at the end. What does any of that matter, really? Does the person who finishes at the top feel that much differently than the person who finishes last? I would doubt it... I bet he/she has the same insecurities, doubts, regrets.... the "I should have done this" or "I still suck!" mentality.

I've never completed an Ironman. So who am I to say. But I remember how much FUN I had when I did my first marathon. I didn't care that I was slow. I didn't care that I walked half the race. I didn't care that 90% of the people I trained with beat me. I took on that challenge, conquered it, and I was PROUD of myself. I want that for Ironman. I want that for you, too!!!

(I'm going to do my best to practice what I preach here.)

Okay, rant.... Done!

2 comments:

md said...

you talking to me??

oh, I remember that first marathon, finishing hand in hand at the finish line. :-)

I promise to have fun this weekend.

Scott and Lindsey said...

I second what you have to say on this post, Erin!!!! Well said, my friend. It was great riding with you for a while on Saturday. Way to hammer!