Sunday, March 22, 2009

In the Middle...

"It just takes some time,
little girl you're in the middle of the ride.

Everything, everything will be just fine.
Everything, everything will be all right."

-Jimmy Eat World, The Middle (played on repeat for the last 2 miles of today's run.)

I'm totally a song lyrics girl. Every other song I hear seems to be written just for me!!! At least in my head. :) Today, this song hit home. Everything WILL be all right.

I am so pumped. This weekend's training ROCKED!!!!

Saturday, I was supposed to ride 80 miles & run 50 minutes. I was dreading the brick run, so instead, I just kept riding. Before I knew it, I was at 91 miles. When Dionn called to check on me (bless her heart - she was driving up and down Escarpment looking for me), I told her, "I'm gonna ride as long as I can to avoid running!" "Silly girl," she replied. Yup, pretty much!

It was a great ride. Alisa was the perfect culprit to my "change my plans every few minutes" mentality. After continually changing our route, we got 80+ miles in via SW Parkway, 71, 620, Parmer, 360 & Mopac. I had to drive parts of it later that evening, and I was honestly amazed at how much ground we covered.

Some Saturday visuals:

My locked chain at mile 50. Notice it's wrapped all the way around my pedal. What a mess... but I fixed it! (And didn't crash when it locked, either. Both good things.)
My total mileage. I was admittedly tired, but with the right nutrition for the last 20 (extra) miles, I could have pulled out 112 miles - no problem.
The benefits of doing a century. I got full service when Maggie & I went to the store to pick up her dining table. I'm not sure Maggie took me seriously when I said I was hopping on, but she honestly pushed me through the store while other people stared at us. Thanks, M!
This morning, I knocked out 20 running miles!!! I use the term "knocked out" loosely, as often times it was more of a shuffle than a run. Regardless, I covered the distance, and I could have kept going for 6.2 miles more. Glad I didn't have to, but I could have.

So... where does this leave me? Right in the middle. I'm so much better than when I started in January, yet nowhere near to my level of fitness achieved at Longhorn. I will get better. For now, I'm right where I need to be. My confidence is up, my fitness is improving, I'm honing my nutrition and I am really enjoying the ride.

"Live right now.
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.
"

Talk about a confidence booster of a weekend. I now know I can do this crazy thing called Ironman. Might not be pretty, definitely won't be fast, but I know I can do it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful weekend report! Way to go. Sounds like you are right on track. Keep up the great efforts. It sounds like you are proud of yourself,, and you really should be. I am proud for you.

MW said...

Muy bueno!

Q: How many GMW's did you use for the chain ordeal?!

Jess said...

perfect...that is what this is all about...i know you can do it...now _you_ know you can do it...wOOt...oh how i want to be there when you cross :(

etg said...

Look at you!! Way to go!! I echo what Jess said...now you know what we've all known for months - you CAN complete an Ironman...you WILL complete the CDA Ironman. I feel for fortunate to be able to be there to see it all in action. Thanks for continuing to inspire me:)

dr mel said...

Way to go, Erin! Rock star!

Priscilla said...

What an awesome weekend! Way to go!!

Dionn said...

E. You Rock! And I (and many others) will keep reminding you of that whenever you need us to.

We love you E!!

(ps-> and I'm really glad to not have found you sitting on an Escarpment curb like I feared!!)