Saturday, February 09, 2008

Excelling at Juggling?!

Today's Horoscope: You probably aren't as scattered as you seem, yet it's still important that you have a plan and do your best to stick to it today. There are too many options before you and even though you excel at juggling, you could waste a lot of energy attempting to keep too many things in motion. Instead of trying to impress everyone with your agility and skill, make inner happiness your goal. When you realize that you don't have to gain the approval of others, your life will quickly begin to simplify.

Sadly, I think that I AM as scattered as I seem. Such is my life lately. I've been meaning to blog, but can't find the time to focus on writing. I have the first 30 minutes of "free" time in ages, so I've decided to catch up. Hopefully it will also help me clear my head.

I have a renewed outlook at work which is really great, though I am busy as ever. I have booked myself solid almost to the end of February and this week was no different. The highlight of the week was the RECA Fight Night on Thursday. This was a black tie event for the "who's who" of commercial real estate, and I got to get completely dolled up. It was a blast to wear a formal dress and shiny earrings and sparkly shoes. After the event, which was at the Hilton downtown, a bunch of us went dancing on 4th Street until almost 2:00am. Yes, yes - I was that girl - dancing in a hot pink formal dress on top of a shark tank. And you know what, it was a blast. I'm already looking forward to next year, though this night will be hard to top. And I'll forever smile when I hear "Mack the Knife."

I was very lucky that I was able to go, since Wednesday had me completely knocked out. I woke up unable to move - as if someone had beaten me silly with a baseball bat. I somehow managed to make it to a big work luncheon, but otherwise I was curled up in the fetal position most of the day. I was so pitiful that I couldn't reach 2 feet next to me to check email on my laptop, and instead checked it on my Treo which was inches from my face! I almost had a nasty case of pink eye, too. Luckily, Lulu saved me with some leftover antibiotic eyedrops. Somehow my eye, and my body, was fine by Thursday morning. (Sigh. Perhaps I should really listen to my horoscope!?!!)

Even though I only got about 3.5 hours of sleep on Thursday, I ended up at the Pit for over 4 hours after work Friday. I think I must have yawned 100 times though, and very wisely decided to go home instead of heading out yet again. It was really fun to see everyone, though, and those are the types of things I don't want to trade even if I am really tired.

This morning I ran the Lil' Longhorn 5K. I came very close to skipping it, but knew I'd feel better if I ran. It's definitely a growing race, considering I came in 2nd last year and no where close this year. I did pull out a 23:30 for the 2.9 mile course, so I was pleased. I honestly felt very slow so I was happy with the 7:50 pace. And since the race, I've been doing volunteer stuff for the marathon. If you see any signs along the roads - think of me! I had it pretty easy, since I was merely supervising a frat who put the signs out. However, I still had to drive the course and check/rearrange/add/subtract/etc. signs and it took forever. I am forever indebted to Maggie, who joined me on the adventure and ran out in traffic with me all afternoon.

Tonight I am going to a friend's retirement party and then out on the town for another friend's birthday party. Tomorrow morning, I've committed to an ACA bike ride.

I am really going to try to sit at home tomorrow afternoon and get a handle on things. I have been taking on so much lately, and I really DO want to slow down. I am thinking that things will be better after AT&T next Sunday. Until then, I am not committing to anything else.

Next goal: inner happiness. (Haha, if only it was that easy, right?!!)

I would like to give a huge virtual hug to Jenna, Annie & Rachel. Thank you 3 for understanding - I love you guys so much. :)

2 comments:

Panther said...

I have a renewed outlook at work, too. I finally learned how to use the "Tasks" tab. Neat!

Suellen (Scout) Adams said...

Inner happiness is overrated. It is the striving that is important. Although it sounds as if your striving could be a little more organized:-)

Consider that the world's most disorganized person said that and take it with a large grain of salt.