Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tired.

I ran the AT&T Half Marathon this morning with Shawn. It was fun, and he took 7 minutes off of his time from last week. Pretty impressive in my opinion, being that this was not a friendly course. I managed to fall at mile 7, where we turned from Cesar Chavez towards Austin High. They were yelling, "Be careful! Watch your step." So of course, I did a face plant in the middle of the road. Brilliant! Anyway, I did not make anyone cry today; for that, I deem the race a success!

Afterwards, I wanted to go swim at 24 Hour Fitness at Hancock. When I got there and saw all the runners, I decided to cheer instead and figured out that the 3:45 pace group was only a minute or two away. So, I set my phone and keys down by a pole and set off to see Dionn. I spotted her and ran with her for a bit - she looked so freaking strong. Then I saw Justin & ran with him. Then Leslie, then Amy, then Sid, then Rhonda, etc... (and others I didn't run with.) That was fun - and I ended up getting some more mileage in for the day which was cool, too. I really enjoyed telling Justin my clutzy falling story to distract him, and I nearly ran into 2 or 3 cones while doing so. I also liked hanging out with Leslie's boyfriend Jon as he passed out gummy bears. And running with Amy was funny - she made me laugh when she said, "Thanks, Erin. Now go away." (I get that a lot, it just rolls off me! ;))

When I walked back to get my keys and phone, they were gone. This is when I started freaking out. (I don't know anyone's number! Shit, what am I going to do?!) Well, turns out someone had found them and taken them to the gym. Whew! It was funny that the front desk lady asked "what do they look like?" when I asked, "please tell me someone dropped off keys and a phone." Does she get that a lot? (BTW, thanks to my friends who had to deal with 24 Hour calling you. Oye!)

After this drama, I opted for food instead of swimming and went to a very fun lunch with Kris & Kerry. It was just what I needed. Kerry & I decided that we are workout snobs. It wasn't enough that I ran a half marathon this morning, but I had to go to the gym to do weights and swim later. (And soak in the hottub... ah, it's all becoming clear now, eh?!)

So, anyway. Here I sit. I'm very tired. It was a really fun day and the best part was seeing my friends rocking the marathon. I'm very excited not to have this race looming over me anymore, and now I can focus on my tri season. Perhaps I'll take tomorrow off, though. Yes, sleep sounds good...

6 comments:

md said...

great job today Erin!! Sorry about your face plant! ouch!
so glad you found your keys and phone!!! ....I only got one phone call :-)

holly said...

I missed you at mile 8. I was looking, but didn't see you. We also missed each other at the finish.

I'm glad to hear you had a good day.

Amy said...

Haha. I'm so glad you weren't offended by my telling you to go away. You were just so very happy and supportive, and I was in such a very bad place right at that moment. I apologized to you in my race report.

Shorey said...

I witnessed a face plant at mile 25, so I suspect there were many. Congrats on a good day! How you can even consider going to the gym after a half-marathon, I don't think I will ever quite understand. Wow!

Dionn said...

Erin - YOU ROCK GIRL!

I can't tell you enough how awesome it was to have you run with me and talk the WHOLE time. That was AMAZING! Thank you!!

Now..bring on TRI SEASON! WOOT!

Kris said...

It was good to spend time with you, Erin. Thanks for eating with me (I was starving) and for listening. :)