Sunday, October 05, 2008

Longhorn 70.3

Longhorn 70.3 Half Ironman- 5:46:20. I will take it!

I'm too tired to write out a coherent report, so I will again display my newfound love of lists:

-What I'm most proud of? Biking 19.9mph at a comfortable pace. I never went out of my comfort zone, meaning I definitely could have pushed harder had I wanted to. I kept it as calm as I could for being in a half ironman!

-What I'm least proud of? My run. 2:23 for 13.1 miles, or a 10:55 pace. I walked at least 25% of the course, probably much more. If it hadn't been for Rhonda, who stuck by me for about 5 miles, I would have walked much more than that.

-What happened!? Something about my nutrition didn't work, and I didn't have a backup. My body was not enjoying PureSport and the Gatorade bar at all, but I had little else to fall back on. I was sick by mile 10 on the bike. Without going into detail, I'll say that I was sick at least 4 times that I remember... and my nutrition suffered big time. Additionally, I didn't take enough electrolytes, which cost me my run.

-What saved me? The people, of course. Seeing Richard, Mike, Kevin, Phil, Chris, Chris, Shorey, the Austin Duathletes Superhero Waterstop and T3 was so inspiring. I didn't want to let anyone down, so I kept moving forward. Rhonda stuck by me when I wanted to stop running. Then... Meredith, my angel, worked up an emergency nutrition plan which had me back on my feet in no time. (Unfortunately, I only had 3 miles to go at this point.)

-Best line of the day? Kevin, via email: "I really admire your attitude Erin!" Erin, on the run: "ROAR! I want to die!!!!!" Kevin, post race: "I didn't really know what to say to that."

-Best shirt of the day? "I don't do triathlons. I do triathletes."

-Favorite moments? Smelling like Pina Coladas at the Sunscreen Spot with Elizabeth. Getting out of the lake and seeing 29:39 on my watch, and never considering that of course the swim was short. Seeing Chris, who I had no clue was coming out, at mile 2 on the bike. Catching Blythe on the bike... and then getting dropped. Getting nutrition from Mike & Meredith on the run. Seeing Mo during my second loop and hearing "way to turn things around Erin!" Dancing the Super Mario Brothers Dance with Kenny at the water stop. Hearing Richard say, "wow - you really CAN bike!" Laura telling me she placed third at Aquabike.

-Best secret weapon? Richard! Thank you for taking care of me, otherwise I would have been a mess. (Tips from a pro aren't so bad either!)

Longhorn was giant fun! Granted, for about 1.25 hours... I wouldn't have said that... but I reframed, got my head back in the game, and broke my 6:00 goal by almost 15 minutes. A very good day indeed. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes, by the way. I was most appreciative.

11 comments:

Jess said...

nice job! i am so proud of you for not quitting and that you were able to turn around and finish strong...the hard parts seem really hard...but the good parts...so much better...

you rocked that course and i must say it's not an easy one...

and so very glad to have been able to train with you!

Dee said...

I'm so proud of you. The run course seemed brutal, but you got through it. You are awesome!

JohnF said...

Excellent. You've really gotten fast.

Slingshot said...

Good job! You looked great out there.

Missychel said...

you are amazing!!! thanks for hanging with us a bit for dinner:)

Priscilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Your hat kept confusing me. I'd cheer for you because you were a T3 person, then you'd cheer for me by name, THEN I'd realize it was you, but generally too late. Shows how braindead I was on the run.

Congratulations on pulling yourself through it. It's not easy to keep going once your body announces it's not happy, but you still managed to kick ass, and just imagine what you'll be able to do when your nutrition plan DOES work out! I can't wait to see what you can do at CdA!

md said...

congrats Erin! you are amazing. that is a very impressive finish time. you rocked it out there on the bike course. way to hang in there on the run.
I'm proud of you!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

So that's what that smoke was on the pavement!! It was the remnant of your blazing bike split!

Jane said...

Way to pull through! The tough parts showed how really determined you were, and I know you weren't going to quit.

Anonymous said...

I knew you were going to rock it! Way to go! Hey, can you show me how to do that 19.9 mph average on the bike for 56 miles?? Wow! Great job!
Erin