Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Some Thoughts on Longhorn 70.3

I wasn't going to post anything about Longhorn, but that seems silly since I've been talking about it for the past 4-5 months pretty much nonstop. So here goes...

Five years ago, I could not run 1 mile without stopping. I'm serious, not 1 measly mile. Four years ago, I ran my first marathon, and five months later raced my first triathlon. Two years ago, I completed my first and only half iron distance race. By the way, my first instinct is to be embarrassed at my slow time, but looking back - I was so proud of myself when I finished, and I can't diminish that. Last year, I was burned out and fizzled out in July. This year, I got serious. I started thinking about doing well. I went on to place at Spenco, Couple's and Sweet & Twisted. I won 2nd at Urban Assault, and 1st at the Women's Adventure Race. I stayed committed to the plan and milked T3 (and formerly Woot Camp) for all it was worth.

I was thinking about posting my training totals, but I find them irrelevant now. I've put in the work. I've stayed committed. I have had my ups and downs, but I have always came out stronger. Longhorn is just the icing on the cake at this point.

I'm surprisingly calm. Almost excited, maybe? Of course I'd like to perform well, but I'm not really that concerned about time. I'm not an elite, nor will I ever be. I'm not going to win, nor will I come anywhere close. What I will have is six solid hours to reflect on the past year of training, commitment, frustrations, triumphs, new friends, old friends, love, loss, change and clarity.

I'm not going to predict anything about Sunday other than I hope I enjoy a really (really!) long workout. ;) I can tell you this much, I have had more fun training for this race than for any other race I've done. The experience has been invaluable, and I am thrilled to head to the start line with the attitude I have.

This year, I realized that I am only as good as I let myself be, and it was time to stop selling myself short. At triathlon, yes. But so much more importantly - it was time to stop selling myself short at LIFE.

I got an email from a client today that sums up my attitude right now, so I thought I'd share:
"I really enjoyed seeing you! And, did I mention you looked fabulous! I can see a glow about you that I have not seen in some time. I don't know what it is, but I hope it stays with you!"

Yup, me too. Bring it, Longhorn!!!

8 comments:

Priscilla said...

Way to go, I'll be out there cheering for ya!! Inspirational post, it's awesome to hear how far you've come. I'd give anything to place in the top anything in my age group. :)

Richard Freer said...

You are so right, the training is all done and race day should be a lot of fun. Just stay relaxed in the morning. I look forward to watching you on the course. Make sure you keep the glow, it looks good on you!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you just for posting this. You're absolutely right. You've put in the work, and you will have a fabulous time because of it. I only wish I could watch you do it, but I'll just have to read all about it.
-Leslie

Jane said...

Cheering for you, Erin!

Unknown said...

Go Erin Go!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

So well put E. I'm sure I'll see that same "glow" this weekend, but it will sweat when you are kicking some booty!

Jane said...

Great attitude! you have it in the bag.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! You are going to rock it with a smile tomorrow and that's how it should be...way to go, girl!
-Erin