Saturday, October 04, 2008

Before I go to sleep...

I've been reflecting on some of the most memorable parts of my training this year. These are some of the things I will think about during Longhorn tomorrow. In no particular order, here are some of my highlights.

1) Going to the gym with Panther 3-4 times/week. I was such a gym rat - doing anything to avoid an actual triathlete type workout. So, I concentrated on building some muscle and reaching my goal of leg pressing 340lbs. I always looked forward to meeting Panther at 4:00 to get our "Max Strength" on.

2) Team Woot. Training officially started the first weekend in March. I'm not sure I knew what I was even training FOR, but I knew that I wanted to train with Panther, Dionn, Glenda, Kris, Triscuit & Michelle. We had a lot of fun workouts together, especially our "Woot Camp Boot Camp."

3) Attempting to ride to the Rookie Tri with Kris, and getting lost more times than I can mention. We had so much fun during that ride, and thank goodness D came to pick us up after the race as we sat, beaten down, on the side of some random road.

4) All the race advice from Mike. Needing more hate, or more "Not liking very much." I think he finally gets that I don't operate that way... today he told me to stay in my happy place, because going anywhere else would be completely unfamiliar.

5) Runs with Phil. I considered those opportunities times to reflect on how far I'd come since my first step on the trail. His advice and feedback has always been invaluable to me. It's ironic that I would never run with him in the past because I was too intimidated, but ultimately it turns out he was (is) a great running partner.

6) Mesa Repeats. I would call Chris each time I attempted Mesa and say "I'm going to call you when I'm done, and if I don't say "I completed X repeats" then kick my butt." It worked! In fact, whenever I would need someone to be accountable to, he was there in the most supportive way possible.

7) The ACA ride post SXSW. I was so hungover, but I still managed to get out there and ride 50 miles with Tim & Scot. I was slow, but they patiently waited for me, and I was very happy to get those miles in.

8) Meeting Kerry at 24 Hour Fitness. We would swim, lift, attempt Latin Spice, and ogle Bobby Bones. (Fine, I admit it! We ogled!) I was so bummed when my membership ran out... I really miss those workouts.

9) T3 Swim Clinic. This is where I realized I really DIDN'T know what I was doing in the pool. At one point, a few years ago, I could swim. Then it went away. Swim clinic was the turning point where I started to get it back... and I lost my flick!

10) Signing up for Longhorn. For the record, I was drunk when I signed up for Longhorn. Mike, Panther & I had been at Rio Rita drinking way too many margaritas for a weeknight. I came home, started chatting with D, and next thing I know I was looking at my race confirmation.

11) Signing up for IMCDA. Chris & Dionn can recall how adamant I was that I wouldn't sign up. I was waiting. No way did I want to jump on that train!!! And before I knew it, not 20 minutes after registration opened, I signed up. FOMO much? Nah... it was more admitting that I actually WAS ready. I'll never, ever forget Chris's face when I showed him my race confirmation. Damn if he didn't know all along.

12) Joining T3. I can't even begin to describe what a crazy decision this was for me. At a time of so much change in my life, I wanted to rely on the consistency of my (old) training group. But it wasn't meant to be, and thanks to ALL the seeds that D had planted (and nudging from Meredith & Chris) - I joined. I still miss my old group/coach, but this was the best decision I could have made for the sake of my training and my sanity!

13) Volunteering at Jack's with Elizabeth. It was here that I realized that someone else was my pace on the run - my most dreaded part of triathlon. I had been so timid about running with T3, but meeting her and realizing that I had a partner (and new great friend) to train with turned my entire perspective around. (Betty, Blythe, Rhonda & Jess have also helped me deal with my fear of running.)

14) Couples Tri. This is when my attitude about my ability really took a turn. Plus, racing with Dionn and stepping on the podium our first time in T3 Blue felt pretty awesome.

15) The U.T. Cycling Studies. Thank goodness I got to do these side by side with Kerry. They were hard, but so worth it. When times get tough, I can think back to doing the Macarena while attached to a tube.

16) T3 morning swim practices. I felt an unwritten obligation to show up and attempt to beat Charles. What a blast. :)

17) Sweet & Twisted Tri. When Joey announced my name, that I had won 3rd in my AG, I couldn't believe it. It was so much fun to have the T3 girls + Maggie cheer for me. Again, I actually felt like an athlete!

18) Maggie. She is a constant source of inspiration to me. I am so glad she joined T3...

19) Monday morning runs with Holly. I miss those a bunch. They were the perfect way to start off the week and see my friend. I'm looking forward to the time when we can run together again.

20) The people. Duh, this is where the really cheesy part happens. I have met so many people this year, and I'm inspired by all of them. I could start naming names, but I can't begin to remember everyone. However, there is obviously one person that stands out more than anyone... and (SHOCK!) here she is. I owe so much of my season to her.

So... there were just a few (20) of my favorite training memories this year. In 5 hours, I'll wake up... get ready... head out to Decker Lake... and at 7:44, it's GO TIME.

What a year it's been. :)

4 comments:

holly said...

I miss our runs so much! Goodluck this morning. You are going to kick ass.

Amanda said...

So, you don't know me and I may be an internet dork, but I have enjoyed reading your blog ever since I googled "run for the rovers" and came across you blog. We seem to have a lot in common with the whole FoMO thing and you have inspired me during the whole triathlon season (although you are MUCH faster than me). Congrats on all you have accomplished!

Dionn said...

E. It is such a pleasure and a treat to be your friend and partner in crime on our many trials, tribulations and adventures. I look forward to many, many more.

Bring on IM CdA!!!!

Love you girl!!

erin said...

hi amanda! i'm so glad to hear that i've inspired you. :) if you ever see me at a race, come introduce yourself!!