Sunday, July 13, 2008

Couples = The Journey

I have so much to write about that I don't know where to begin. I'll start with the good stuff:

Couple's Tri - 1:27:07 - 6.5 minute PR - 3rd place in our division

Hell yeah. But even better:

Couple's Tri - took it easy - didn't stress out - didn't beat myself up - had an amazing time.

And that, my friends, is what it is all about. Sure, taking home hardware (thanks largely to Dionn's awesome time) was great. Sure, kicking the butt out of my horrible Danskin experience was great. But lately I've come to realize that it really is about the journey - not the results. And today... today, was an awesome part of the journey.

First off, today was my first race in BLUE! T3 Blue that is! Surprise! :) I joined the Longhorn Training program early last month, and I have been LOVING it ever since. There were 60 - count that 60 - people from T3 competing today. I felt like everywhere I looked someone was in blue. The team spirit, enthusiasm, etc... it is just awesome. It feels so cool to be part of a team. Not to mention, the training is awesome. Our coaches told us this would be a "train through" race - as in, we weren't going to taper for it - we would just have fun. That meant a 13.5 hour workout week, with a very hilly 40 mile ride yesterday and a 20 minute run. There was no taper for this race whatsoever, and yet I still felt great. (Tired, but great.)

Second, today was my first race in which I really appreciated being able to race. By that, I mean I enjoyed BEING there. I enjoyed the experience. When someone passed me, I didn't beat myself up that I should be faster. I have been recognizing that my "ego" gets in the way far too often to let me enjoy myself. If there was ever a prize for beating yourself up mentally, I would have a full trophy case full of them. But instead, I recognized when I started thinking that way, and let it go. Instead, I just did my thing, got in the zone, and soaked up the experience. (Perhaps you can tell I'm really enjoying "A New Earth.") D told me I looked like I was actually enjoying myself during the run. I was! What a shift!

Third, my partner was awesome. It goes without saying how much of a rockstar Dionn is. She was waiting for me when I finished, ready with a huge congratulations. Sharing 3rd place with her was freaking awesome. I felt very lucky to race with her today, and looking back at the past year - I feel very lucky to be her friend. Go Apple Bottom girls!

So... there you have it. A fantastic race. A fantastic Sunday morning. A fantastic training group. And a fantastic leg of the journey.

4 comments:

MW said...

Fantastic!

holly said...

YAY!

Slingshot said...

Congrats, woot!!

Dionn said...

You looked GREAT out there and CLEARLY enjoying yourself! Thanks for being such a fun partner!

YOU ROCK!!! YAY!!!!! :)