Saturday, July 05, 2008

Dallas Rocks!!!

At least, cycling in Dallas rocks. I ventured out with the Greater Dallas Bicycle Club this morning for a nice jaunt to DFW & back. It was a kick ass ride.

I'll be honest, I was a bit nervous joining up with a group where I knew no one. But it was meeting less than half a mile from my parents house, and it seemed to have various levels that I could hang with. In fact, I thought I'd try to start out with the fast group and see where that took me. I figured: Dallas = flat! I should be able to fly! What I did not account for was Dallas = wind!!!

Anyway, I was all ready to head out with the fast group, but the ride leader told me I needed to stay with the normal group. I was a little disappointed, but I relented - he probably knew what was best. As we cruised along, switching often between 16mph and 20mph, I made some new friends and generally had a great conversational ride.

Twenty miles in, all the groups came together at a Shell station. My new friend Ryan suggested we head out, that the fast group would catch us, and we started a 22 mile loop around DFW. It was actually pretty hard to start - sadly, I am a wuss at windy overpasses. :( But over time, I ended up with the lead rider and we hammered it between 24 - 30mph. 22 miles of just trying to hang on, and it was awesome! When we regrouped at 40, the fast guys all said, "you need to hang with us!" Yes! I made it to the club. ;)

All in all, the total distance was 57 miles & it was awesome. I might make it to Dallas more now that I know a group where I am welcomed to ride. What a kick ass morning!!

Then... the icing on the cake... my dad & I took his bike into Richardson Bike Mart to get a chain cut off (long story) and he bought a helmet. We came back and he started riding around the block. My dad! On a bike!!! What have I done to this man? :) It's fun to see my love of cycling rubbing off on him.

I'm loving this visit to Dallas.

2 comments:

Scott Mc said...

Wow Erin! I had no idea you hammered on the bike. Go get 'em!

Erin said...

Thanks, Scott. Cycling is about the only sport that I can hammer at. If only I could amass some of your running speed... :)