Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Keeled Over

I have mentioned this before. I have a serious problem when it comes to swimming - I inhale way too much water. I finished swimming over an hour ago, and I have so much pain in my belly. It's not like I gulp water each time I breath - I don't even notice when I swim. What gives!?!!

This morning was my first swim workout with T3. There were tons of people there - 6 in my lane alone. I swam with the T1 group, meaning I didn't have to do as much as the faster group, and that was just fine with me. At one point Chrissie said, "I know this is a slower pace for you, but work on your stroke." I'm not sure she realized that the pace was plenty fast for me.

2750 - a very nice first workout. Not too hard, but enough to make me feel like I worked. The lone shower was open when I was done, so I was able to get ready and to work by 7:40. Nice!

Now about this swallowing the water issue. I need some help.

3 comments:

MW said...

I'm no swim coach, but I'm an expert in the field of common sensicalness...

Open your mouth and breathe above water, and keep your mouth closed while under water.

Try that and report back!!

Unknown said...

Mike gives the advice of a typical land breather. It's basically entirely wrong ;)

You want to be breathing out the entire time your mouth is under water - mouth open blowing out slightly.

So that when you come to taking a breath in, you've pretty much blown all the air out. Then you roll to the side you are going to breathe, turn your head that bit further to get your mouth out and breathe in.

This is in contrast to roll to the side, get your mouth out, try to breathe out desperately, then take a big gulp of air in (along with some water) then stick your face back in the water and try to hold your breath.

That's the key - breathe out all the time your face is under water. You shouldn't have to blow air out above water before your breathe in - it's probably where the water gulping is coming from too.

Took me a while to learn this and I always end up having to re-learn it if I don't swim for a while. it doesn't feel natural at first and takes a bit of attention/ thought.

MW said...

It is always flattering when Michael Phelps decides to use his "nom de plume" to correct me, and give expert advice, instead of going by his real name. So humble.