Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why I Train

I'm beginning to think of my training as an unpaid internship. I work a lot of hours but I don't get paid. I respect my peers and my mentors and do everything possible to learn from them. There are certainly times when I would rather sleep in than do the work, but I know others are expecting me to show up. Most of all, I know the end payoffs will be worth it.

Some of us have been mulling the question, "Why do you train?" For me, the answer changes daily. Today I ran 12 miles so I could meet my goal hours and get some quality girl time with Myndi. Yesterday I rode 60 miles so I could prove to myself that I'm getting better at cycling, that there is a sport that I am good at. Each time I show up to a run workout, I prove to myself that I can overcome my nerves and doubts. Each time I show up to a swim workout, I practice trying to control all parts of my body and aim to feel the "click" of everything working together. Each time I show up to a workout, I form stronger connections with my peers.

I train because I need to train. I need the structure. I need the goals. I need the confidence. I need the people. I need the rewards. When life is crazy and confusing and chaotic, I need my training. No one else comes in to play - it's something that I can control and do for ME.

(I also really need a leg massage. Too bad that's not one of the perks of this internship!)

2 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

We also need the encouragement! It was great to see you out on the trail today!!!

meredith said...

I don't know who you see but I am ADDICTED to my massage therapist. I, too, have a need for your internship needs ;) m