Sunday, June 08, 2008

Danskin Report

I debated ignoring that this race happened, and thus not posting anything about it. But since I just did a mini recap in an email to some friends, I thought I'd cut & paste. Here it is.

I had a few issues. First, the swim course was long so I was really discouraged by my time when I saw it. That was demotivating.

Two, I didn't actually get to inflate my tires, and I was nervous about the bike and the hills, so I didn't fully push it there either.

Three, I gave up once I came back to T2. I walked (a long way) to my rack, then sat down before I started to "run." Which is a loose term, as my pace was a phenomenal 9:50. Yes, that's right. A 9:50. And that includes all of the many times I walked, and reflects my frustration at all the people with "27" on their calves running past me after I had killed them on the bike. (2nd best in my AG) F%$&ers. I hate running. Ugh. (By the way, if Stephanie hadn't run with me up the hill, I would have walked the last 1/2 mile. Pathetic!! Thanks for pulling me, Steph.)

Fourth, I had a bad song in my head. "Friday I'm in Love." That is not a motivational fast song. I tried to get "Down Together" by Roger Clyne into my head, but it wasn't happening.

Finally, I didn't eat. Or drink. Oops. Apparently you need energy to get through one of these things. Doh.

Final results: 14/291 in my age group & 103/2592 overall. I missed being in the top 100 by seconds. UGH!!!! The good news... I have lots of room to grow. And I took 11 minutes off my first Danskin time.

I'm ridiculously tired now for having raced just a sprint tri. Yet, I'm leaving to go get new running shoes at Rogue. Running shoes. Go figure.

*Picture Update!*

D & Me before the race. Look, I was practicing smiling!! :)

This summed up how I felt about the race. Rather than bike downhill to get my flipflops post race, I just left my bike in the middle of the road. D just laughed at me, saying that this scene perfectly reflected my mood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, my times sucked too. But I had a great time out there. Glad I was able to push you up that last hill. I knew you could do it. :)

Steph

MW said...

Sorry, but I'm not going to feel sorry for you.
You friggin' did great even though you raced like a chump (evidenced by your transitions).

If I could finish a giant race as top 3.9% OVERALL, and top 4.8% of my AG without so much as trying my close to my best, and walking and sitting through transitions I'd be exstatic. I'd take those percentages eac and every time.

Well done!

Now, some tweaks here and there, a little more fine tuning of your heart and competitive spirit, (which will come with you new training), and you'll be stellar!

And, oh, and as whomever it was that gave you the smiling idea said, SMILE more!

md said...

well said Mike.
congrats on finishing 3.9% OA, and top 4.8 of your AG!!
I'm proud of you!
I looked for you!

Dionn said...

uh..hello...YOU ROCK!!

Yes, there are some areas for improvement...just like anybody has...but you did GREAT!!

Besides, it was a good look at the Couples course, right? ;)

KP said...

Hey, you forgot to mention that there wasn't one single male competitor that finished ahead of you. That's some genuine badassedness!

In all seriousness, I hear you say boo-hoo, but I see numbers that say ya-hoo - way to go, E!

(my Blogger word verification = vdimbpy)

Dionn said...

LOL!! The bike pic is HYSTERICAL!!