Friday, June 06, 2008

Danskin, for real this time...

Thanks for all the comments on my Danskin post. Honestly, it was kind of a joke and I probably should have written it more like it happened:

"I don't wanna do Danskin. I am so tired and my heart isn't in it."
"That's okay, just focus on doing one thing really well. Kick butt at just one thing. Like the swim, or your transitions, or... smiling. Hahaha."
"Okay, thanks a lot. Your advice is to focus on smiling?!"
"Yeah! Or, you could focus on frowning. Just kick butt at it!"

Anyway, I repeated the conversation after a miserable swim in Barton Springs and an even more horrid 4 mile run. (Seriously, I think crawling might have been a faster means of getting around the lake than my running this morning.) I signed up for Danskin excited to see how I've progressed since 2005. This was my very first triathlon, and at the time - I was thrilled with my performance.

I've put too many hours, too much effort, too much money (!) and too much energy into training not to have improved significantly. But again, I'm just not feeling it. Other than today, I have skipped every bike and run workout this week. I'd much prefer to sleep. I have been so tired and unmotivated. I'm trying to change my attitude about racing, but it's not working.

By the way, I started Crossfit at Rogue this week. It's kicking my butt. Two mornings of endless squats, lunges, plyometrics, sprints, etc... - my body is NOT used to that whatsoever. Smart thing to do the week before a race, right?!

So, time to REFRAME!!! I am officially relieving myself of the pressure to kick ass on Sunday. I'm going to have fun out there. I'm going to enjoy how far I've come, relish the memory of my first triathlon and support the other women out there. For that, I am excited about Sunday. This is going to be fun.

Bring on the smiles!

1 comment:

Shorey said...

I am a firm believer that our bodies have natural cycles that, no matter how much we try to force our training cycles into the same schedule, just simply don't work. I struggled all last year with the 3 week cycles in our training plan, because my body works on a 5 week cycle, and it was never in sync. I ended up so frustrated by this that I missed out on really enjoying myself at a few races.

I would say, just go out there & enjoy yourself, and not worry too much about workouts you've missed or how sore you are from CrossFit. You're in awesome shape, so you'll do well (and have fun) regardless.