Sunday, June 01, 2008

Adventure Quest

Yesterday was the second annual AAFAME Adventure Quest. Two years ago, this race was just an idea between my friend Robert (also the AAFAME president) and me as a way to do a new community services event. We talked about doing a 5K, but decided instead to do an amazing race/urban assault event because it focused on fitness but was also fun. We also wanted to take advantage of our unique ability to access most of the buildings downtown. (I am lucky to have a job where I can work on events like this; most of the committee are current/potential clients, but I feel instead like I get to work with my really good friends.)
Fast forward to yesterday, and I'm thrilled to report that our second race was a huge success. We doubled the number of participating teams, added some awesome new checkpoints to the course and most importantly, raised over $7,000 for the Angleheart Children's Shelter.
All of this is great, of course, but personally I was most impressed with the support I received from my friends yesterday. I counted 14 of them out there, either racing or volunteering or just coming out to support the event. All of them are very busy, with training or work or their kids... but they still came out. I am so appreciative. Thank you, guys.
By the way, a big congrats to Nedra & Mike, who (even after running 12 miles) took first place!

2 comments:

Shorey said...

It was a great way to spend Saturday, Erin! Thanks!

Kris said...

So much fun, Erin. Thank you!!!!