Friday, June 06, 2008

Nice work, Google!

I was so excited to see this image for today's Google logo. I usually don't pay much attention to how it changes every day, but this one instantly caught my eye. You can't miss that little girl (Infanta Margarita), and then the painter looking out us. It's Diego Velasquez's Las Meninas, of course!

HOW COOL IS THIS? I have spent so many hours studying this painting. I loved debating about the king and queen in the background, whether they are looking in a mirror, or reflected in the canvas... All of figures in this painting are fascinating to study (especially the dwarfs and the mastiff), and Velazquez himself was fascinating. Then there's the discussion about reality versus illusion, and then Velazquez showing the Order of Santiago... I could go on and on.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement about this. Carry on!

No comments: