Friday, February 27, 2009

4 miles....

Today I was fortunate enough to join the "flex group" of T3 for our long bike ride. The plan was 80 miles on Parmer. We rode today because it seems that regardless of how beautiful warm and non-windy a week will be, Saturday morning means wind/rain/cold in some combination. Tomorrow appears no different, with wind gusts up to 30mph. No thanks!

Anyway, I got dropped for the first 40 miles, regrouped halfway, sneaked away before the rest of the group ventured out, and then proceeded to hammer my way home. I was feeling really great - nutrition was dead on, cadence was good... I dare say I was starting to feel my old cycling self (?!)

Then I biked through a pile of wet paint. Whatever, now I have Zebra tires - cool! Then I got a flat. On my back tire. At mile 76. Oh well, I clomped down the service road until I got to a parking lot. I was fully prepared to change my tire when this really sweet lady pulled up and offered me a ride. She had a bike rack on the back of her car and looked totally trustworthy. But I still had 4 miles to go...

"Thank you, but I'm on mile 76 of 80... I should probably finish out the final four."
She shoots me the most quizzical, are you out of your mind look that I've ever seen.
"Yeah, you're right. How about that ride?"

Fun day. Quite pleased to have this one in the bag. And man, that lady was awesome. Looking forward to paying this one forward.

No comments: