Monday, February 16, 2009

Rookie of the Year

I'm so glad I went to Dallas this weekend. My dad found some super saver flights on AA, so after my ride on Saturday - I hopped on a plane and headed to DFW.

The reason I went home this weekend was because my mom won the "Rookie of the Year" award at the Food Bank where she volunteers. She alternates making centerpiece baskets for fundraisers with interviewing "clients" who are in need of food bank services. She's been doing this over the past year... and I couldn't be more proud of her.

The award ceremony was Sunday afternoon - and it was very cool. I was struck by 3 things:

1) Seeing where my mom works and the reality that she faces. Not only was I reminded how fortunate we are, but I was struck by how actively involved she is in helping people. She has a huge impact on people's lives... I wasn't as clear about how much she does until yesterday.

2) The obvious love and appreciation people feel for her. Of course my dad & I love her, but to hear others talk about how wonderful and caring she is was very heartwarming. She is a natural caregiver (hence her nursing career.) I'm so glad that she is in a place where she can nurture and help people AND be recognized. During the speech about her, it was said that my mom "goes way and above the call of duty to help people." Amen!

3) I am proud of my mom and wanted to be there to support her when she accepted her award. However, my mom - in her typical selfless fashion - wasn't concerned about her award at all. It was more important for her to show Dad and me where she worked, what she did and how her food bank helps people. I think that says wonders about her. The award was an afterthought; bringing us into her life and sharing what is so important for her was what mattered.

It was a great afternoon. It feels a little silly for a daughter to be exclaiming how proud she is of her parent, but... I am. My mom rocks!!! Here she is with her "rookie" ballcap. (Very clever!)

And here's the three of us.
I took some other really goofy pictures too, but I'll keep those offline... for now...

Way to go, Mom!

3 comments:

Dionn said...

YAY MOM!

You ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Erin, thank you so very much for your very kind words. I am thrilled you got to come. Love, Mom

etg said...

What a wonderful moment to be able to share with your mom...sounds like she rocks...and that she's passed at least a thing or two on to her daughter!