Thursday, February 26, 2009

Most Useful Skill Ever

I'm happy to report that I have figured out the thing that I am better at than anyone else in the world. (I am sure I have some stiff competition, too!)

The skill? Laughing at myself.

I've come to realize that this is a very useful skill. I do, say and think a lot of really stupid things. If I took myself seriously all the time, I would be a constant wreck.

Who was the girl who ran - hard - into a closed sliding glass door in front of 50 of her friends at a lock-in?
Who was the girl who fell down during a BBYO walkdown while making her way to the stage?
Who is the girl who would fall for no reason while walking through campus?
Who's the girl who loses her voice while talking to a room full of people?
Who's the girl that finds things like "this end up" on the side of a cardboard box hilarious?
Who's the girl who likes to play with finger puppets and robots?

I could go on, but I'd be writing all day. What brought this thought to fruition was something I was thinking yesterday while riding my bike. I was heading up a hill, and instead of gearing down just one gear, I went down three. I thought "I'm so extreme! I can't do just one, I have to do three!" Then I started thinking about other ways in my life that I'm extreme, composing a little essay in my mind. I could only think of one. I chew four pieces of gum instead of one. That was it. Then I started laughing at myself for having such a ridiculous thought. Extreme? Me? Whatever!

But... laughing at what a goofball I am? Well, yeah. That's pretty much a round the clock occurrence. I've had many years of practice!

Geez, I'm a dork today. This is what happens when I don't sleep, I guess!

3 comments:

Scot said...

And you do a very good job of entertaining us, in the process of being, well, Erin ! ; )

Panther said...

It sounds like you have a real problem, Erin. Admitting that is half the battle. Here's a video that might be able to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd4tugPM83c

;)

Tiny Bunny said...

thank god you don't take yourself seriously! :)